Dissent

Snapperpaul

the holding or expression of opinions at variance with those commonly or officially held.

"there was no dissent from this view"

synonyms: disagreement, lack of agreement, difference of opinion, argument, dispute, demur; More

antonyms: agreement, acceptance

refusal to accept the doctrines of an established or orthodox Church; nonconformity.

noun: Dissent

"rural communities with a long tradition of Dissent"

(in sport) the offence of expressing disagreement with the referee's decision.

"he was sent off for dissent"

US

a statement by a judge giving reasons as to why he or she disagrees with a decision made by the other judges in a court case.

plural noun: dissents

"he wasted no time in cranking out nine majority opinions, as well as three dissents"

verb

verb: dissent; 3rd person present: dissents; past tense: dissented; past participle: dissented; gerund or present participle: dissenting

hold or express opinions that are at variance with those commonly or officially held.

"two members dissented from the majority"

Having read the new rules I object to the use of the word dissent

I feel it is a step to far

I do not agree with any rule that forbids dissent as it effectively means you must agree with the committee and the moderators and as such means there is not to be any opposing views

Paul,

Let me first start by explaining the process which has led to the Rules & Guidelines being issued;

Our Admin team put together the rules & guidelines based upon an amalgamation of other forums rules. This first draft copy was issued to myself for review.

My alterations were then issued as a 2nd draft copy to the committee.

The committees alterations were then issued as a 3rd draft copy to the Moderating team

The moderating team's alterations were then issued as a 4th draft copy to the committee who voted to approve the rules / guidelines.

These rules / guidelines have today been published as you've seen.

I trust you can see that the club has carried out a full and proper process prior to issueing these rules / guidelines. Notwithstanding this, you have raised a point regarding the choice of the word 'dissent' which rightly requires an answer;

Please interpret dissent in this instance as the 'sports definition' that you've highlighted in your original post;

Dissent - the offence of expressing disagreement with the referee's decision.

However in reference to the RHOCaR forum....please replace the word 'referee' with 'moderator'.

Edited by steamer

There are a lot of good words & views encompassed in the many hundreds printed in the locked topic from Richard. Many of which would ( should have ) have helped a great deal in my past few years as a committee member. HOW-EVER they are all with-out merit if Rule One is enacted, this is a "catch all" rule " there is only one rule -- obey the rules -- the rules are what-ever we (committee) wish them to be .

Reminds me of early days as an "ordinary member" when bans from forum were made with-out notification.

I think the upshot from having the Rules & Guidlines published is that they are there for everyone to read, this can only be a good thing for the club moving forward.

As with most things in life, people have the right to disagree.

However, I think it is how people disagree that can get into some sinus cavities at times, so think about how disagreements can be worded.

If you say it straight, remember that this can be construed by others (as well as the intended recipient(s), as a personal attack, derogotory or just plain nasty.

I'm not saying lets all be cuddly and fluffy, life isn't like that, but just spare a thought if you were on the receiving end.

God, i've worked for a large company for too long, Diversity and PC training must have sunk in at some time a while ago!

• Like 3

It doesn't say Dissent is "Forbidden".

It says Dissent Isn't "Promoted".

But lumps it in with rudeness and deliberate confrontation as if it were an offence of equal seriousness. It seems clumsily worded.

I would say that rudeness and deliberate confrontation should not be acceptable or permitted rather than just 'not promoted'. Seems a shame to include dissent when it's a subtly different but close relation of healthy discussion. It is emotive slightly ambiguous word and I suspect it will be read by some visitors as 'agree with us or go away'. I would just delete it.

Not that my opinion is being canvassed.

Nigel

For-instance, Does this post qualify as dissent or healthy discussion.

Edited by Longboarder

Guest zoomzoom

There are a lot of good words & views encompassed in the many hundreds printed in the locked topic from Richard. Many of which would ( should have ) have helped a great deal in my past few years as a committee member. HOW-EVER they are all with-out merit if Rule One is enacted, this is a "catch all" rule " there is only one rule -- obey the rules -- the rules are what-ever we (committee) wish them to be .

Reminds me of early days as an "ordinary member" when bans from forum were made with-out notification.

Well someone got to be in charge..........................thank goodness it's not me ............

Quote Whiz

If you disagree become a full member and have your say to make it count

Whiz I think you have inadvertently got straight to the point why I am not currently a full member

With caveat that the full reason is more complex and not relevant to this discussion

As an observation I would add that some years back when I was a full member I was appalled at the abuse and in fighting on Locostbuilders, RHOCaR was indeed much more civilised, although I was banned once for humorous spam, and it's this civility I would like to see continue.

Rules is rules and rules are meant to be broken

So whilst I understand what you ( the committee and the moderators) are trying to achieve please beware that power corrupts etc and these rules will be difficult to retract

I do have thoughts of Animal Farm and 1984

Please prove me wrong and soften the rules so you have room for flexibility

• Like 1

Guest shaggy

When playing the 5% rule, one has to be overly cautious about what message the other 95% can be misconstrued as. One person's "crack" may well be very offensive to another - thus dissent is very easily and quickly achieved.

Guest shaggy

nah, given up taking chairs

Communication is made up from the following components

5% = words

45% = tone and reflection

50% non verbal communications

So dissent an easily arise from only 5% of a message