Help...car Won't Start!

Apart from all the ignition stuff that's been swapped, have you have the cambelt off of adjusted the tensioner? Interested to see what's happening regarding the cambelt moving around. Also, is the edge of the belt marked where it's rubbing on the cover or is the cover similarly marked.

I can possibly get a cam pulley washer today if yours is missing.

have you have the cambelt off or adjusted the tensioner?

No & No, only took cover off to get better access for the timing light.

is the edge of the belt marked where it's rubbing on the cover or is the cover similarly marked.

Inside of the cover was caked in old oil and since been cleaned (no noticeable marks), belt did look worn and a shade lighter nearer the cover.

I won't know until I get home from work myself :(

Apart from all the ignition stuff that's been swapped, have you have the cambelt off of adjusted the tensioner? Interested to see what's happening regarding the cambelt moving around. Also, is the edge of the belt marked where it's rubbing on the cover or is the cover similarly marked.

Rich,

I have just got in from work, took cover off and took these pics:

post-12997-0-44465700-1404317633_thumb.jpg

post-12997-0-23457500-1404317635_thumb.jpg

Can anybody make if anything is missing?

To me it all looks intact, but I have no manual to reference.

Nikki informs me the burping and farting from the car has gone away since fixing the No 3 HT lead on again. Will give the car a good blast tonight and see if it pops off again when the engine cools down.

Meantime, timing needs doing, but slipping timing belt needs attending too, (pics above).

Look underneath the car, immediately behind the crankshaft pulley in front of where the cambelt goes, you should see a big washer as shown in this image.

If it's not there, the belt will move around on the pulley.

Washer.JPG

Rich,

I have just taken a look from above, due to a steel plough being underneath the car protecting everything.

I do believe I can just make out a washer just behind the crank front pulley.

Tension looks good on the belt and it's only a little worn.

Not much I can do, without removing the rad, so how about I attempt starting the car keep an eye on the belt and try the timing light before putting the cover back on.

Or wait until after Hollowell?

If the washer's there, then the belt should only move fore and aft on the pulleys by maybe 5mm. You're probably ok to check the timing, maybe highlight the marks with tipp-ex to make them stand out a bit more.

If you're not completely confident, I can pop round tomorrow night after work and give it the once over.

pm also sent.

I give in, just tried to time the ignition and the capacitor in the timing gun blew.

It's been a bloody unlucky, exhausting week and I'm having a midweek drink and watching a movie.

If I don't walk away now, then I will fall out of love with the car....or cars if the bloody alarm on the tin top wakes me again tonight.

Cheers everybody for the support, but I'm throwing in towel tonight.

if all the bits look in the correct place then i am gonna guess worn tensioner. not too bad at ~£25 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PINTO-OHC-CAM-BELT-TENSIONER-SIERRA-RS2000-CORTINA-CAPRI-KITCAR-/290827299353?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b6a86a19 and is a 15min job.

Hopefully someone can have a look though and check everything before you have to part with any cash.

hth

Seems after having 2 faulty sparks, a duff HT lead and a burnt out timing light the car it starting OK.

Big, big thank you to Rich, who popped around last night after work and drank tea and quickly checked everything was correct.

He connected up his timing gun and set the timing correctly, as it was 2 degrees out.

He then went on to check the washer was in place (it was) and the movement in the timing belt.

After careful inspection, we agreed that the tensioner was worn and in need of replacement including the belt which has been rubbing against the washer.

So next job (after Hollowell) is to reallocate the oil cooler and radiator, replace tensioner, belt and bottom crank pulley if possible.

Big thank you to all for all the help.... time to get ready for Hollowell.

Cheers Dino & Nikki.

• Like 1