Opinions/guesses

Guest mower man

Guest mower man

Have had an annoying nonstart/flat battery situation intermitently over the last week wiil fire up normally drive 199yds /30 miles no prob stop for 10 mins the dreaded whurr no turn over stop switch off leave 1 min /10 mins starts no prob battery is 4/5 years old [premium ] starter sim age [recon ],cant make my mind up which way to jump ,all connc clean and tight ?????????? 2.1 pinto 10.5 ish comp runs fine when started :aggressive: :80: :search: mick

Thinking about a new hi torque starter any views

Edited by mower man

Yes, sounds like the starter solenoid is not kicking the gear to engaged mode. Could be a sticky shaft ?

Are you sure the starter is spinning?

If it does eventually start after waiting, it doesn't sound like a battery problem.

Simon.

Guest mower man

Apologies for my poor description ,the sol sounds as if itis throwing in but the starter does not turn, use a cuople of expletives and of it goes no prob I'm leaning to dirty sol contacts /sticky brushes /dirty com, will take the motor off :crazy: later mick

hmm i've had it where the solenoid fires and the starter goes to take the current and because the battery contact was dirty it wouldn't be enough to turn the engine. Although every now and then it would get enough contact and turn it over. I'd often hear a little pop of the arc as it tried to draw current and couldn't

I'd give all the contacts a good scrub and see if it helps.

I had starter issue, with extra battery connected then added mates Insignia Desiel connected started Drew so much power Insignia lights dimmed, starter smoked, Pinto would only turn over slowly

Fitted high torque geared starter, no problem since