Electric Chainsaw

Andi

Off topic I know

Now I have always been a petrol head chainsaw bloke who would scoff at girly electric chainsaws. But after destroying my petrol one I decided to get an electric one just to do some limbing for the log burner. I did not expect much at all but was pleasantly surprised by this one

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-uc4041a-40cm-electric-chainsaw-240v-p70877

Light as you like and cuts as well as the petrol one (if not better) on logs up to 14" thick (as fat as i went).

Ok... you cant take it into a field but thats about the only drawback so far. And the massive overall benefit is,...... it starts first time.

Andi

unless you get a proper big petrol one you won't have as much power as an electric one anyway. You'll also have pretty much instant torque from an electric motor unlike a petrol one. You don't have to smell of 2 stroke, or spend £6 a gallon on fuel and its not quite as loud. But you do have to have a cord which is a bit annoying.

so i'm in both camps.

Guest tom-zero

I wonder how long it will be untill they design a rechargeable battery chainsaw that can be taken into the middle of a field ? But personally I do like the smell of 2 stroke, reminds me of being 16 when me and my mates all had mopeds lol

I wonder how long it will be untill they design a rechargeable battery chainsaw that can be taken into the middle of a field ? But personally I do like the smell of 2 stroke, reminds me of being 16 when me and my mates all had mopeds lol

You can already get a rechargeable one.

Like Andi I recently had to replace my old petrol saw and decided to put up with the cord since I now never use it more than 20 feet from the shed anyway. So much easier!

Guest peter2b2002

bit more power try my old chain saw it's got a 90cc engine in it pulls a 5ft chain( now down to 3ft), bugger to start, silencer shot but then it is 30+ years old ,plus point when im using it swmbo knows where i am

peter2b

I did do the proper training, NPTC cross cutting and felling when I was between jobs. Money well spent when I see some of the so called tree surgeons at work around here. I use a husky 350 with either an 11 or 18 inch bar for most of my work and have a smaller model for limbing and emergencies (ie if I get the other one stuck). For bigger trunks I use a Stihl 048 which is a heavy old saw but will rip through anything with its 36 inch bar.

I recently cut down a row of 18 trees for an airfield museum using the 350. The wood filled up the back body of my Unimog twice and stacked up a 17 foot flat bed trailer, at I guess I would say at least 5 tonnes of wood in total, felled limbed and logged ready for next winter. All this on 7 or 8 litres of petrol! Electric chainsaws, not for me!