Tucking A Kit Car Away For Winter

Guest A.B

I can't agree more.

Who knows when the sun will shine ... and the adrenalin helps keep you warm!

Think of all the benefits for the car ... tyres not stationary in one position ... all engine fluids circulated regularly ... condensation inside the exhaust system dried out ... fresh air circulating to keep moisture and damp smells at bay ... no forgetting to tax it ... shall I go on?

Alan

• Like 1

What's it like driving in the wet ect? I saw a yellow hood with a pinto engine last weekend on the m4 j1 roundabout which undertook me on the roundabout and it looked like he Lost the back end but then brought it back. Do you change the tyres or just run a summer tyre like an r888?

did someone say snow?

P1000595_whitened.jpg

As for driving in the wet, a lot depends on the tyres. I've just switched from pirelli p6000s to vredrestein sportrac5. It's like night and day. I used to be uncomfortable driving in the wet as i had to drive so carefully, whereas now i barely notice!

Suspension setup, toe, etc also make a huge difference to wet grip.

Edited by Grim

Guest alfaGTA

Is there an procedure you guys have tucking the car away for winter?

Reverse into garage in August, drive out in March to a trackday or to 1500 miles in Scotland :crazy:

No prep no nowt 8)

if you are going to lay it up for some time be it winter or summer, a few of the common things are don't put the handbrake on as it can rust to the drums and is a pain to unstick. just leave it in gear or chock the wheels.

charge the battery fully and if you can put a trickly charger on. I've got a solar charger which whilst it won't be great in the winter it should still keep it stable, our cars don't tend to have loads of electronics that drain the battery anyway.

turn the engine over every week or so and drive it about so the tyres aren't left in the same position.

a sonic pest scarer might be useful as little creatures like to make nests and chew wires.

but as above if you can drive it thats the best plan. I don't love driving it in the rain but a lot of the winter days are dry and cold and ok if you wrap up warm.