Why Is A Q Plate So Bad?

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

I'm stuck! I have a doner vehicle and was going to go for an age related plate, as I have used the engine diff steering etc. but I have no space to keep the doner so need to scrap it. Now if I do this then the Dvla cannot issue an age related plate because the original car has been scrapped. So I would need a q plate...am I right? Any advice appreciated! Thanks joe

Nothing wrong with a q plate, just that some people don't like them. When it comes to the emissions test at mot time and my tester only looks briefly to see there is visible smoke and nothing else then I am very happy with mine!

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

I believe when you go through the IVA process and register the car it automatically gets marked as scrapped/no longer in use. Just keep it as SORN for now

That sounds perfect so if I cut up and sell it as scrap metal keep the v5 and chassis/vin plate then once I have eventually finished the car it will go fine? Thanks joe

It doesn't automatically become registered as scrap, you have to declare as scrap, or keep SORNing it. When I registered my 2B I didn't do anything about the donor as I presumed that because I'd declared I'd used the parts from the donor for my kit, it would then not exist. I kept getting threatening letters about none payment of road tax, and it took a few letters and phone calls to sort it out.

Just SORN for now, then declare scrapped when your kit is registered.

HTH

Nick

I don't think that an individual can declare a car scrapped anymore, the process has to go through a licensed dismantler. However, as the SORN is now continuous, does it matter is the original donor isn't officially scrapped?

Malcolm

Its a pain to keep the donor on SORN as DVLA will not remind you when it's due for re-SORNing. Our donor was scrapped by ourselves -- a few pictures sent to DVLA ( of chopped up car in various scrapped stages) with the declaration of self scrapping. Saves all the nasty letters demanding money if you have forgotten the anniversary of SORN ( I did & received a large fine)

But this was 4 years ago & the goal-posts may have moved!!

You don't need to scap your doner, you need to dispose of the unwanted parts ie the body. If you scrap it the car will cease to exist and therefore you can't have an age related plate based on the age of a car that doesn't exist.

Once you've taken off all that you need contact a scrap dealer, explain that you want them to take the body away but that you need to keep the vin plates, chassis number and V5 to get your kit registered and hopefully they'll take it away. By the time you've taken off all you need for your kit such as engine, gearbox, brakes, steering, axles and hubs you'll have removed all nasty bits that can cause recycling problems.

Offer them the shell for free, as that may tempt them to be more helpful

Guest Howtightpet

Well just MOT' d mine.

And tester said he wished they where all Q plates says age related will get worse on all the new changes and he said it's far easier on emissions as there isn't any. Lol

So I was worried at first when Q plated but must say. Would do the same again without a doubt

I would suggest keeping your options open, as you never know how the rules may change next.

As Steve says, SORN your doner and keep the V5 (ensure it is in your name), strip as much off it as you can keep, wiring, switches etc, including cutting out the VIN number.

Then you can take the shell to the scrap yard to free up your space.

Then when you come to IVA and registration you will have the option for Q or Age related.

Typically age related cars seem to sell for slightly more, they also allow you to put on a personalised plate (as long as it does not make it appear newer), Q Plates cannot.

Maybe I'm odd but I actually want a Q plate

Not odd at all - I'm exactly the same. Building mine purposely to get a Q.

Just can't see the hysteria at all about having an age related plate. Who the hell is impressed that you have the engine and running gear from (example) a 1983 vehicle in your car!?!

I can see it if you want to put a private plate on that's personal to you - yes totally fair enough, but trying to impress people with an age related standard type reg - very odd to me and actually suggesting that an equivalent car is worth less because it has a Q on the plate is also very odd to my way of thinking??

I like the mystery of the Q and the emissions at MOT time are just a huge bonus. :)

Age related ( for me ) infers that the car parts came mostly from one donor -- Q suggests it could be a " dogs dinner" of parts that may or may not be compatable. But that's me.

Edited by florin metal works