Wiring

jaimo

i am trying to sort the wiring on my newly purchased robin hood that the previous owner had done god knows how any of it worked then again some doesnt but under dash i noticed there a green unit module fair size bolted to bulkhead has a plug and lot of wires going to it obviously offf original sierra 1983 but really want to know what it is and can it go.

i am thinking either aux warning system such as seatbelts etc as mine has this lol or some sort of ignition module

please help

has anyone got a wiring diagram or wire list for the wires that go into back of sierra clocks 1983.

the clocks are the ones without rev counter speedo on right temp, fuel gauge on left and warning lights such a seat belt light etc in mddle.

the prob is there is one of the two wires into pin is cut is was connected but now not.

the pin is number 9 and the wire colour is white with green line there is 2 wires the same one cut .

i put power to the wire and the clocks and exterior side lights came on passs i dont know either.

i did read that it was hbrake warning but that wont make sense for lights to come on please help

• Like 1

You should be able to trace the circuits on your dash just by following the strips. Might have to part strip the dash. But some basics with guesses marked ?

1. Earth

2. Main beam

3. ?

4. Fuel gauge

5. 12v power in

6. or 7. One will be the ignition light. The other ??

8. Low brake fluid/handbrake

9. ?Dash illumination

10. ? Possibly engine temp

11. ? Possibly seatbelt

12. right indicator

13. left indicator

So that's some of them.

You still have oil, seatbelt warning, engine temp, dash illumination to trace/confirm.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Take the clocks out of the dash. Examine them and strip if needed till you can trace the wires from socket to the various lamps. Take a pencil and paper and record each one, 1 - 13. Ign, oil press, temp, fuel gauge, etc. They are visible and you can work it out.

Then attack the plug that goes into the dash pod when you know what each wire should do. Don't let it 'do my head in'. Attack the problem logically. Record the results. Pencil and paper. First, have you a good earth on term 1? Have you got 12V on term 5 with the ignition on? Then the other terminals. For instance if the low fluid light is indeed terminal 8, then use your £5 multi meter to check if terminal 8 and one of the wires in the master cylinder plug make a circuit. If you haven't got a cheapo multimeter get one.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Following on from Nigel's post this is what i can trace

1. Brown - Earth

2. Blue/White - Main beam

3. Black/White - Seat belt ?

4. Blue/Black - Fuel gauge

5. Black/yellow - 12v power in

6. Blue/Green - Oil light

7. Blue - Ignition light

8. Brown/Yellow - Low brake fluid/handbrake

9. Grey/Green - Dash illumination

10. Brown - Earth

11. Red/White - Temp Gauge

12. Black/Green - right indicator

13. Black/White - left indicator

Could not trace pin 3 on wiring diagrams but a good guess would be the seat belt waring light

putting power to the cut wire going to pin 9 would explain why the lights came on as this is the instument panel lighting feed from the lighting switch.

Les

Edited by Les Welsher