2B Sliding Pillar 'knock Down And Rebuild'

Sid76

Just picked up my springs for the suspension. I bought some uprated front springs for the sliding pillar. When they came they were yellow and the finish wasn't great. Rather than send them back and incur the expense I decided to get them and while I was at it the rear springs to match.

It's nice getting all these shiny bits!

87AFC60F-34DE-4A0F-9D52-005C1AA41866_zpsll8ywfen.jpg

Nice and shiny! :)

Are these the bits you need for your rack? If so drop me a message with your address and I'll ping them off to you.

Cheers

Tony

20150626_180842_zpsds31uuuc.jpg

20150626_181051_zpsbbbi5qek.jpg

20150626_181056_zpszd4p3di7.jpg

Edited by FERRINO
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well! I seem to have been away for an eternity! Hello again all!

Got the rear subframe and suspension fitted back in early summer and managed to get the Diff fitted before taking a break.

This turned out to be 12 weeks or so - ouch. Where did that time go...

With half term looming and me taking a week off to kick start the 2B again i started to do some preparatory work - finally stripped the block to (hopefully) sort and source the oil leak that is clearly present (or has been). I have stripped the engine down and changed all seals before giving the block etc an honest sympathetic spruce up!

DSCF0972_zpsjnswcuf9.jpg

oh i made my own flywheel locking tool! 8)

DSCF0971_zpsxl8sgrxv.jpg

DSCF0976_zpsbcvt7t6z.jpg

DSCF0977_zpsefd2eytv.jpg

DSCF0978_zpsqbvmqwqa.jpg

I went and got me some new wheels - i am so chuffed with them. Lots of jiggery pokery making sure i had ordered the right ones (size etc).

DSCF0979_zpscioz2pjn.jpg

Started to fabricate an adjuster bar for my handbrake cables

DSCF0983_zpsamm3ur7i.jpg

and this is it in situ with my modified Mini handbrake lever.

DSCF0985_zps8opqtwcy.jpg

I now have a rolling chassis again - slowly (some might say very slowly!!!) i am freeing up more work space in my garage. I can now get her outside and use my garage more like a workshop now.

My head is being converted to unleaded and should be back in a couple of weeks all being well.

I can now set about fitting brake lines, fully lines and wiring loom and hopefully will get out a couple of evenings this week!

DSCF0984_zps3tb0poum.jpg

ta ta for now!

Edited by Sid76

• 2 weeks later...

This week I have made two tank straps out of the old Sierra strap. Really chuffed

172D6201-60F1-4401-BD71-16BD7333C04A_zps

I'll upload pics of the straps in situ this weekend.

Got the fuel pump fitted

10C1C7A1-AE09-4CFD-AE95-D4E3088E022C_zps

I need to get on with brake lines and fuel lines this weekend.

I need to fit my callipers too.

Oh before I go. I promised a pic of my new wheels. The ford ones went - although I liked them the work involved to get them to fit was all a bit involved.

Can't wait to be rolling on these! 😛

0D2EEAA3-D926-48CC-854F-5869AAF4414E_zps

Ah nearly forgot. I have made a mock up screen (out of wood first) so I can drill and tap frames and not 'hurt' anything.

Can't wait to get out this weekend 😀

Quick tip , bin the steel fuel filter that is screwed into the pump they block up very quickly.

Get you self one of the see through ones for about 2 quid, loads of folk on here have had problems with them.

If you haven't got a spare screw in adaptor then stuff a drill through the filter.

By the way just love the wheels.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hello all

jeez-o! I thought only a couple of years had past since I’d been in the garage and on the forum. A redundancy, career change, retraining, house renovations and a whole host of other qualifications for means that I am now getting back in the garage properly after 4 and a bit years! 

Will update on progress soon. Nice to be back. 

all the best - Sid

😀 don't want to show off but I built my entire car in half the the time you've been away - although, admittedly, I've not done any work to the house, which my wife keeps reminding me about...

Welcome back! 🙏

• Haha 1

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sid76
      Build Video 5

http://youtu.be/gQ1VgRD4_ZQ

At a minute in we start to look at the rear panel fitting. 17 minutes we are looking at the donor tank again and has references to the RH tanks - 1 large and 1 small. at 27 Minutes it jumps to the seat back panel. at 41 minutes we are back to the fuel tank and at 42 minutes we start to look at the installation of the engine, gearbox and driveshaft.

Joking aside - thank you Ivan Sanford for uploading these on YouTube.

I will post more later...
    • By Sid76
      Build video 3

http://youtu.be/lzfzO-LfJvU

we start off with the header tank, jump to the interior and then have a H&S interlude and we haven't even reached a minute. We then come to what i think is the intro and helpful information about the design weights (info needed for the IVA). At 12 minutes we are then jumping to the rear axle (cue references to the short legs of 'the wife' and how the car has been built to accommodate fat people! Oh and referring to the cameraman all the time when she is clearly a woman). At 31 minutes we jump back to the front suspension.

Build Video 4

http://youtu.be/3kvkZuTl230

We start off with the rear subframe and fixing the floor (the under chassis) and at 1 min 30 or so star to look at the rear suspension.
    • By Sid76
      Oct - 2014

Other than the forum - i have really struggled to find any reference to the build of the car. I have purchased an old S7 build book from Kitspares along with some old catalogues. I am really trying to find reference to sliding pillar suspension. I know this is made up of a myriad of parts. When i was digging around on the internet i came across these.

Robin Hood Build Videos on YouTube

Build Video 1
      http://youtu.be/CoXGacMEi-E

Video 1 looks at the following;

H7S, changes to car updates etc, at 23 mins he goes into talking about the wishbone set up.

My first impressions were "is this guy for real" and can i please get these videos so that i can edit them in some sort of order. But i think thats just me OCD coming out!!! Seriously - if anyone has these on DVD i will gladly do this. Any money then raised (after costs) can go to Charidy.

Build Video 2

http://youtu.be/rLjLI2t0r7A

video 2 looks at the following; suspension continued and looking at the cycle wings, after 5 minutes he then jumps to the steering rack, 5 minutes later he moves onto the anti roll bar and at 17 minutes he starts lookg at the donor tank (from the sierra) and the rear boot cover. 2 minutes later we are back to the multi bend tube for the cycle wing brackets. at 22 mins in we start to look at the wiper motor (from the sierra), the bonnet and pick up (Bonnet catch). On to the heater matrix and fire wall at 27 minutes. Back to the cycle wings at 30 minutes, at 33 back to the luggage/boot cover at 38 minutes we are back to the cycle wings and plates for the cycle wing brackets. before finishing off at 39 minutes to look at the radiator.

I am now dizzy and need a lie down!
    • By willemharvey
      I've just bought a part-built RH 2B (wishbones) and I need to know a few things before I think about the possibility of IVA.

1. It has steel rear arches. Will these need replacing with GRP? I must admit they look a bit narrow for the wheels currently fitted.

2. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with the 2B design that need fixing before I even start any of the retrimming, as there are lots of sharp edges everywhere!

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

I'll add pictures later.

Thanks

Willem
    • By roshea14
      hi, i am really struggling with the order in which to build up the sliding pillar suspension on the 2b i have just brought part built. both sides have been built up different from each other and i don't think either is right! there seems to be a lot of thread sticking out of the top and i can't imagine that it is the right way of doing things to simply just cut it off. any help with this issue would be gratefully received! ideally an exploded view or hand drawn sketch or just an order of which parts and how many washers and where things go would be extremely useful. i also have what appears to be a pair of polybush's and two top hat spacers that seem to have something to do with the suspension and two bigger bearings that haven't even been fitted, maybe they were intended as upgrades or just never fitted but they really have got me confused! again, any help would really be appreciated.