Wheel Shake.

blue

I have a problem where the steering wheel shakes - like the front wheels are out of balance.

I've had all four checked twice at two diff places and both said there perfect and I've changed them front to back and side to side it's really starting to spoil the car.

any ideas !!!

Guest 2b cruising

What type front suspension do you have. Some types split the metal at the top leg mounts.

Unlikely to be bearings unless fwd. the adjustment would have to be miles out. If there is a continual rolling, drumming sound that increases with speed it could be worn out bearings.

Could be warped discs as Steve says, or loose discs or faulty calipers mounts.

Faulty steering column joint.

As your wheels are balanced true, it has to be something mechanical on steering or chassis.

HTH. Ken.

Guest 2b cruising

Are your tyres wearing properly and even.

If you cannot find mechanical fault, you might benifit from a full geometry chech. Caster, camber, tow in etc.

I had similar.

Found that when I jacked the wheel up just a few ml off the floor and span it, it had a slight bulge in it.

Possibly from over winter standing.Now i use it through the winter or leave it on stands

Andi

Guest Gargoil

When did the shaking start, was it after some sort of mod or service?

Is it at any particular speed or certain road surface? what type of shaking is it, more a vibration or side to side movement?

really strange as my bmw has literally just started doing this! i stopped to check it wasn't a flat tyre. couldn't feel a bulge on mine. Weird thing is it seemed to come and go. I wonder if it was the road as i haven't driven that road on my new tyres (less than a month old).

Have you changed routes?

Guest zerorace

Just a note have you checked the back of the wheels on the face that tightens to the disc also check behind the disc small flakes of rust ect can cause wheel shake