Weber 40 Dcoe

Guest alexpink

Guest alexpink

I'm now after a 40DCOE31 or 40DCOE18 carburetor. I've been a massive idiot and realised that the pair that came with my car are unmatched... hence the problems I've been having with idle/progression.

Doesn't really matter what condition the carb is in, as I can clean it up and use all the parts from the spare I will have.

...And yes, I know bike carbs might be better, but they're not as cool!

Guest alexpink

Hmm tempting... But I've found a solution already luckily. Chap who rebuilds carbs will do a straight swap for the 31 so I will have two 18s. I'll save the turbo for when I build a BEC..

BEC kit with a turbo? Nutter! I have always fancied one because of the noise they make but there are too many drawbacks to make It viable for me. I agree with you on the webers though, sort of retro now. If you take your bonnet off at a show people gawp at them probably because half of them don't know what they are.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can fit 36mm chokes in a 40mm weber.

Frankly its not worth the extra expense of going to 45s which will probably have 36.. chokes anyway.

40s with 36mm chokes will feed 160bhp easily.....ie most pintos.

Cant really see anyone wanting to swap for smaller carbs....

• Like 1

I agree Dan, I've got bike carbs on mine and had them set up on a rolling road (Steve at Northfield - great guy). Easy to get the main jet size correct but the bottom end is too lean even with the mixture screws at their limit. The low speed (idle) jets are fixed in my carbs so can't change them and I'm not drilling them out in situ. Luckily the carbs have Dynajet needles and we played around with the height adjustment to get the engine to pull cleanly from idle but this means the mid range is too rich. Steve also had to alter the ignition map to stop the backfires on the over run due to the weak mixture. Each time we made an adjustment to the main jets the carbs had to come off.

The engine now has really good low down torque and pulls cleanly to the red line with no flat spots but Webers would have been far easier to set up!

Guest 2b cruising

Used to be cheap but then the bay started.

Plus kits started using them big time so supply and demand took over instead of them going to scrap with there engines attached.