Blue Antifreeze

Guest janis

Guest 2b cruising

If it was running well before you drained to put in the a/freeze, it's ok now.

No damage would have been caused by replacing a/freeze.

It just needs bleeding or t/stat turning.

If giggle pin still in stat, you can remove it. If none in it drill 3 mm hole in top flat surface.

So lift front of car up..open radiator cap and expansion tank..start car up and hold my hand on top hose and wach bubbles etc..ther was zero bubbles coming in radiator..top hose heated up in like 10min tem gauge rised up to 50 and then radiator start boiling and water coming out like fountain..there was no changes at all witch shoud be when thermo stat opens..no flow in radiator or temp changes in top hose...next step is take tstat out and see how she goes then..thats some other evening again

Water coming out like a fountain. That is air without a doubt. That's exactly what mine did before the modifications. The water would come out in a huge gout overflowing the top of the radiator leaving it half empty. Take the stat out and drill a 3mm hole in it for a start, that may be the only modification you need. Don't be tempted to run without a stat as the engine needs this to run at the correct temperature.

Yes thats my next stop..before i will test stat it might be sized since summer when i removed it..thing is when i bought it chris had it all blead with this sistem and this stat etc..so why can ot bleed now?and its even same stat..might be sized..ill test it when i get a chance..

i've had trapped air in my system a few times :crazy: You probably have air in the top of the engine, trapped behind the stat

To clear it, i fill as well as i can, refit rad cap, start and let it warm up, park it facing downhill to allow water to hit the thermostat. As soon as the temp gauge drops (stat opening), i turn it around, facing uphill and let it cool. This usually lets out a huge gob of air. Refill coolant, repeat if necessary.

I also have a bleed location in my heater hose, which helps get more water in.

On your thermostat housing you have a blanked off spigot this is to bleed the system. Put a long tube on this spigot and raise it high into a bucket and run the engine all the air should come out.

Don't put too much coolant in the expansion tank just cover the return feed you don't fill the system through the expansion tank it should not be full at all when cold .

Guest 2b cruising

When I first met you , you were picking up your car from Cris's house.

You were having the same problem then weren't you.

What did you do that day to clear it. I know it was air in system then.

Edited by 2b cruising

No that time we had original sierra temp sender and cbs gauge witch was reading 100 we took tstat out and it was the same..i drive like that for ages til i get cbs sender and then temp was 90..it was just sender..it never run hot..

Are you sure you don't have a blown head gasket? Because I had something similar with my car. I ran it without a thermostat for quite some time then once I put the stat in, the car seemed to keep overheating and water spraying out of Rad/overflow. Turned out that I had a blown gasket and it was just coincedence that It became noticeable when the stat went in.

Nige

So yes..find the wee pipe..took it off put long pipe on and put end in the bucket...keep topping up water and let her run for while so everything was good then..i put very little water in expansion bottle and filled radiator full..when car heated up water rised in expanion bottle slowly til it was full and start poring out..i was thinking that it just too much water in and not enough space to rise..water temp was just over 60 then and electric fan did not kick in yet too and then with bang it shoot expansion bottle lid off and all water pour out again..i open radiator cup with boig towel safely and more water out from rad...

And now biggest trouble..i took thermostat out and it was fully open and still is on garage bench so it coud not be tstat...wtf?

It was running 100% without tstat and now it not run with fully open termostat?i dont understand..did i boiled up engine first time trying to bleed?

Why temp reading only 60 and why electric fan who has its own switch did not kick in when it was hot?it was working fine before..