Twin Webber Carbs

Del1968

Guest mower man

You will need short pinto manifold , throttle linkages proper mount for carbs to manifold and gaskets and o rings unless they are part of the purchase , also are they jetted for your engine and idealy need setting up on a rolling road . Other thing may be air filter and ducting ,bonnet clearance , chassis clearance may be more than a carb swap!! mick

Guest Ian & Carole

If they are on a Pinto manifold then yes.

But don't expect a "plug and play " scenario, unless you are very very lucky and they are a matched pair off a 2.1.

Expect to be buying chokes jets and emulsion tubes to get the set up you need and a rolling road to set them up.

On the + side once sorted they are amazing bits of kit, that despite others opinions, they do stay in tune and are reliable.

I had them on all my competition cars and on our 2b. I just checked every now and then they were still balanced, using a medical stethoscope, then never touched them. Mid high 30's cruising and mid teens playing.

Edited by Ian & Carole

You will need a different intake manifold, after all you are putting two carb's on where there was only one. Different throttle cable arrangement too, twin cable is the norm I think. You will have to change the fuel lines to feed both, easy. A fuel pressure regulator is important as the webers don't like too much pressure, just lots of flow. Too much and they leak like sieves. If I remember correctly the standard pinto fuel pump will cope if it's in good nick.

Thats enough expense to be going on with!

Guest 2b cruising

If you are buying new carbs they will cost £500 for the pair.

Manifold, cost depends where you get it from and the type.

Rolling road around £120 per hour at a decent place.

Linkage £25/50.

Cables £20

Very near as much in cost as the ultimate feeling method of throttle bodies. Around £1000 from GBS.

Then you could go all in with a stand alone ecu for ignition and injection systems Emerald @£714 + loom + set up.

Power just does not come cheaply.

You also have to consider if your current engine is strong enough.

Why bother with any of above when it is known a 32/36 is good for up to at least 170 bhp.

This of coarse my opinion only.

If you want bling, spend your money on things like decent comfy seats. Dash mods, wheels etc.

It's all good advice above.

What is the spec of your engine?

I see its 2.1, but what head mods, what cam, what ignition, what exhaust?

Unless it is in a fairly high state of tune, the Webers may not add very much anyway.

This guy knows his stuff, & its well worth a read....

http://www.dvandrews.co.uk/

• Like 1

It's all good advice above.

What is the spec of your engine?

I see its 2.1, but what head mods, what cam, what ignition, what exhaust?

Unless it is in a fairly high state of tune, the Webers may not add very much anyway.

This guy knows his stuff, & its well worth a read....

http://www.dvandrews.co.uk/

Hi bob i will have to have a look at paper work of whsts been done to engine as i bouht the car already built to lazy to build myself lol

Very few people have ever managed to get twin 40's set up correctly on a pinto, plenty have tried and got rid of them, going back to a 38 DGAS or the 32/36. (This is why you see so many on Pinto manifolds for sale on ebay etc)

Bike carbs seem to be an easier option to get running correctly, but again it will cost you.

The one thing people forget to say about twin webers on a Pinto, is that you will need shares with BP, Shell or Esso etc, as fuel consumption will be horrendous.

Edited by Big Jim

+1 for Bike carbs, I fitted a set of R1's on a home brewed manifold to my mildly tuned 2.0 ltr Pinto (injection head, accuspark ignition, FR32 cam) and found it was much more driveable, and easy to set up, after reading the Bogg brothers advice. Fuel consuption is better than the 32/36 DGAV, and you don't get that hiccup as the second choke opens up. I don't know if somebody had messed with the original weber, but it was only returning about 23 MPG.

Guest mower man

I ran a 38 dgas on my 2.1 after a little fiddle and lots of advice and with a decent head job hi torque cam [newman stage 2 ] was getting just short of 145 bhp at the crank 125 on the deck , lots of torque and more than enough power for an old codger ,was not cheap £ 850 + but did i love it !! . mick :crazy: