Colour Change, Carbon Wrap.

Jez Morton

I'm changing the colour of the 2B this winter, the blue GRP is looking a bit dull and some of it needs replacing for one reason or another. Anyway, I'm going to change to orange, ordered new nose and wings from GBS. The rear boot cover and crescent covers are painted blue so i need to change the colour. I'm thinking about using an orange 3D carbon look wrap to cover the panels, has anyone got any advice on best place to buy and fitting the wrap.

Thanks

• Like 1

When you come to fit it make sure the garage and car are warm, this helps the wrap to form nicely. I used a heat gun with adjustable temperature to help get the edges to form round the curved ends of the back panel. The panels need to be clean (I used meths and cellulose thinners on the steel parts). Then used a debit card to steadily smooth out the wrap while applying it. If you need to get a sharp cut edge on the wrap you can buy cutting tape off eBay or I just used a scalpel and a few blades. Try not to stretch the wrap too much as the carbon lines will be distorted and won't be straight

Rob

Wheel arches and nose cone are a nightmare especially in carbon don't over stretch the wrap either

True story! I did loads of research and then watched loads of vids on youtube (where it just seems to 'fall on' to the component) before buying the expensive 3M stuff to do the rear wheel arches. Spent 3 hours on the first one calmly trying to get it to fit around all the compound curves before finally having a massive tantrum/tearing it off/scrunching it into a large ball and stamping on it whilst yelling like a loony! Ended up just spraying them.

Then the wife accidentally knocked them onto the concrete whilst they were drying in the sun and now I have to do them all over again.