In-Car Computer

theduck

So I mentioned before in my thread about winter mods that I wanted to build an in car computer for the hood. Well, it is now complete and ready to be installed.

This fabulous little thing will allow me to record and review data logging from my megasquirt ECU, as well as allow me adjust all tuning paramaters. In normal running though I will have it display a custom dashboard. I've made a short video of it loading into the custom dash display and then running a gauge demo which I have shared below

• Like 3

I'm using the raspberry pi official screen and case so it's all integrated as one unit. The megasquirt connects using a serial to USB adaptor (ftdi chipset is important!). You then use a registered version of the tuning software for megasquirt called tunerstudio and dash can all be customised from there.

• Like 1

I'm using the raspberry pi official screen and case so it's all integrated as one unit. The megasquirt connects using a serial to USB adaptor (ftdi chipset is important!). You then use a registered version of the tuning software for megasquirt called tunerstudio and dash can all be customised from there.

OK, gotcha - never realised the Pi had a screen option.

Have you seen the MSDroid app for Android (http://www.msdroid.com) ? Looks to do a similar thing but for any Android tablet...

I have, their are a few downsides to it though. Bluetooth introduces a certain amount of lag, the software is no where near as tried and tested as tuner studio and doesnt offer anywhere near the same level of functionality, and a good quality android tablet runs to the same if not more than the pi setup costs.

You can of course buy a cheap tablet and not worry about the lag and if you just want a dash you can always use shadow dash which is by the same people who write tuner studio. For me though, the fact I can have access to my full tuning software anywhere, and have the dash function made the pi a no brainer.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks Richard, I did find that exact post eventually and I've checked with Emerald and they confirm that Torque app will work - they also kindly sent me a link to buy their specific cable for it as well ;)

Looks to be a promising post-IVA project...

• Like 1

Long gone are the days when I sat at the kitchen table polishing the inside of dashpots for my 1.5" S.U's because of ultra light springs -- all looks to be smoke & mirrors now & hopefully the only smoke is from the exhaust.

• Like 1

Tuning in those days was -- does it sound right & does the exhaust smell right -- just a tad back from sweet smell should do it. Only got 18/19 mph from a 998cc lump which was ported, polished & balanced --- power ran out around 7.2 which was 110 & revved to 8.