jaimo

Well got up to temp and guess what blue smoke on overun

Maybe time for 2.1 full rebuild or zetec

Shame as sounds lovely also tested compression on pot 1 was only 70-75 psi

Going to try head off marcus to make sure failing that

Anyone got a good pinto for sale need to make stoneleigh

I. D just give up and sack your engine builder.... :(

Thanks dan engine build is fine

Just realising taking short cuts due to work. Tiling kitchen. Revamping my bathroom. Complete ripout and refit of mums bathroom. Disabled kid wanting me all time etc just hard

Sometimes have to learn that taking someones word something is good doesnt mean it is

Too trusting i guess 😔😔😔😔😔😔

Thanks dan engine build is fine

Just realising taking short cuts due to work. Tiling kitchen. Revamping my bathroom. Complete ripout and refit of mums bathroom. Disabled kid wanting me all time etc just hard

Sometimes have to learn that taking someones word something is good doesnt mean it is

Too trusting i guess

wasn't having a go mate, you just don't seem to have any luck with regards that kit car...

Bit happier as might be right thinking head either crack or guides as took plugs out and number 3 pot same as before looking through plug hole there a pool of oil on top in centre of piston so belieue it to be dripped dowm into chamber from above so hopefully new head will sort theres too much to of dripped off plug anyone else ever seen that

Bolt on any old Pinto head with a standard gasket and try it

I've got a standard Pinto gasket you can have, your not near me but I have the odd Pinto head around, I'm sure members closer will have stuff in the garage

You are saying that you're back to square one after a head rebuild. Missing on 3 and oil sitting on the piston crown of 3. Initial problem was oil in 3 and a missfire. Part strip showed evidence of excess oil burning in 3 and a very clean piston. You thought the excess oil was due to stem seal failed on 3 inlet. Suggestions for the clean piston were due to wash with oil, unburnt fuel or water.

You have had the head skimmed and pressure tested. Fitted new valve stem seals. Confidant that there was not significant guide wear. Confidant that the head is not cracked. So a 'recon head' has not solved the problem. Very tempting to conclude that the head was not and is not the problem! So what other sources of oil on the piston crown are there?

I can only think of two sources. From the high pressure block to head oilway via the head gasket or up the side of number 3 piston.

Next step I would take would be removal of inlet manifold and a very good look down no 3 inlet hoping to see oil dribbling down onto the back of the valve.(Double check to rule out stem seal leak) If its dry then it's head off and get a good engineers straight edge on the block to check for block distortion which could prevent the head seating fully and head gasket sealing properly around the oilway and cylinders 2 & 3 and lead to oil leak into 3 and possibly water.

Then I think I would want to drop the sump and have no 3 piston out for exam.

Just my thoughts.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

Guest mcramsay

Are you 100% it's oil on the piston and not petrol that has pooled? Maybe pooled due to the diesel you put on the bores? What did the spark plug that came out no.3 look like? If the cylinder is missing then you will get fuel pool up on the piston.

Personally I don't think you have solved your original problem that you took the head off to sort. I agre with Nigel that you need to do a bit more digging before you set your sights on the head

Guest mower man

I'M GOING TO BE OBJECTIONAL why dont you stand on the M1 with a pocket full of money and throw it to the passers by ? . Please finish a project and then start another or you will be in your box before your time ! That engine needs gutting ,I suspect broken or stuck rings or even incorrect rings /pistons , can you get the sump off ? easily ?, if you can get it of and pull no3 for a start and go from there . there may be no apparent marks on the bores , I blew a piston out on my 2.1 ,drove it for 40 miles and no bore damage! Pull it down properly ,get 2nd opinions [ who have seen any evidence ]and go from there ! I do hope I havent upset you or any one else but you need to slow down !!! mick :sorry: :acute:

• 1 month later...

People been asking why change block what have i found

Well nothing yet but as i know its not the head so must be the block

Not got time or money to repair before stoneleigh and going to do it fully

So got a good block from the saviour ivan so just got to get a sump gasket changed all seals then drop in put head on and build up

Then will strip old block and investigate

Edited by jaimo
  • Like 1

Well think got to resign to fact wont make stoneleigh got all back together and misfiring now plug no 3 lead off no change

Got spark

Got compression

Seem to be getting fuel

No oil in cylinder

But no3 not firing

Was only oil causing issue before

Going to get more fuel and have a play but later but time running out

Well think got to resign to fact wont make stoneleigh got all back together and misfiring now plug no 3 lead off no change

Got spark

Got compression

Seem to be getting fuel

No oil in cylinder

But no3 not firing

Was only oil causing issue before

Going to get more fuel and have a play but later but time running out

have you changed the plugs? or moved them around in the head to see if the no.3 not firing follows to another pot?

Yeah put in 3 different plugs dan changed leads eta wondering if carb not putting enough fuel in to 3 as before it used to pop and spit flame out of no3 carb when running now nothing

Not right up on bike carbs what could of changed from remove and refit

Plenty of fuel in bowl

seems to be getting fuel

Started like it after rebuild going to double check valve clearances again but dont think its that

Edited by jaimo