Jump to content

Winter Maintenace/Mods


Recommended Posts

Ha, i just clicked on your blog Dave, and on your last post (3 years ago!), you've got a pic of new wing mirrors - which are exactly the same as I've just ordered! Come on, thats like...magic or fate or something...🤔

I'm easily amazed....😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, is it really 3 years since my last blog post!! As for the mirrors, I found they are a little restrictive view wise and I went back to the original mirrors for the Switzerland trip as I had bags blocking the centre mirror.  I might swap them back as I do like the smaller form factor and I am happy with the rear view compromise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, David S said:

I want to fix the gear lever rattle as it is annoying me!  I have the bits, I just need to find the time!  I would like to tidy up the paintwork, but funds are too tight at the moment.

andi fixed his with a hair bobble and a screw! east fix lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, keith kelly said:

andi fixed his with a hair bobble and a screw! east fix lol.

I can see how that would work as if I hold the lever over to the left or right with a small amount of pressure, the rattle stops.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, David S said:

I can see how that would work as if I hold the lever over to the left or right with a small amount of pressure, the rattle stops.

Exactly lol. He did try a rubber band but it perished too easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 4:27 PM, David S said:

I want to fix the gear lever rattle as it is annoying me!  I have the bits, I just need to find the time!  I would like to tidy up the paintwork, but funds are too tight at the moment.

Is it a type 9? I had one where the gear lever rattled about. It turned out the spring that holds the gear lever to one side pushes against a pin, and the pin had worked loose and fell into the box. Wasn't a big deal until it found fifth gear and left through side of gearbox? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jez Morton said:

Is it a type 9? I had one where the gear lever rattled about. It turned out the spring that holds the gear lever to one side pushes against a pin, and the pin had worked loose and fell into the box. Wasn't a big deal until it found fifth gear and left through side of gearbox? 

Hi Jez, no it an MT75 with the GBS quickshift fitted.  It is a known weakness of the earlier versions they made.  Apparently the later versions don't rattle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David S said:

Hi Jez, no it an MT75 with the GBS quickshift fitted.  It is a known weakness of the earlier versions they made.  Apparently the later versions don't rattle.

I've got the same setup, bought in 2015 and mine also rattles, so I guess that's the old one? What does the 'fix' involve?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas,

Just seen thread on this issue and decided to stick my oar in🙄.

Any gearbox will suffer if external forces are subjected to the gear lever. I experienced this on a 1600E & an Imp to my cost where I thought it was cool to leave my hand on the gear lever. Apparently it makes the selector forks plus others that wear excessively and can then cause difficulty in gear selection. I have also had failures with the MT75 box in transit applications where I suspect my drivers had kept their hands on the gear knob.

Usually it is wear in the selection assembly (i.e. slack springs, worn joints etc.) that cause the problem and the only cure is to change the item(s) concerned before they wear to much and drop into the gearbox possibly causing more expense.

What a happy chappy am I it's only by being so cheerful keeps me going.

While Winter is upon us whip the gearbox out and rebuild the selector mechanism then next year all good, especially if a MT75 new/used parts and repairs are relatively cheap as it's been used so much unlike my T5 which is like rocking horse .....

Best Wishes Jim

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, nelmo said:

I think the issue here is the GBS shifter mechanism, not the gearbox itself. It always seemed a bit floppy from the day I fitted it 😊

Yes, that is the problem part.  Taken from the GBS Owners Facebook page, the fix is to replace the rod end bearing that the gear lever shaft goes through.   

Edited by David S
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...