Pinto Oil depth in sump?

Guest SFX-Joe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drilled and tapped the alloy filter housing on the K series; there's a part of the casting where it was obviously left to be machined/tapped out for some sort of fitting. It was blanked off on mine (unmachined) so I just took a gamble and opened it out and yes, it's straight into the gallery line (basically).

As ohters have said its been shortend too much, here's a bad picture of my RS2000 sump, this hangs below the gearbox. Another way to add capacity would be to fit a big oil cooler, then probably blank most of it off!

I wouldn't think the standard pump will make any difference, the flow will be the same its just the pressure valve is set lower than the HP one. 

sump.jpg

Edited by Peter Bell

Double check the length of the dipstick tube. I don't have a pinto so I can't give the correct length, but other pinto owners can provide their measurements. Some have found tubes have been "helpfully" shortened incorrectly.

Guest SFX-Joe

Brumster... You sir are a legend. I haven't yet tested it so may be speaking to soon but so far the signs are good with the Accusump in place. 

I fitted it yesterday and turned the car over on the starter to prime the oil up the system and get rid of any airlocks. I then fired the car up, 50psi now holding in the Accusump over night so no leaks (Bonus). 

I am just waiting on a larger bore non return valve which will arrive tomorrow to actually take her out in anger and see what's what. I am tempted to go out today for a few miles but the current non return valve is smaller than recommended as it was the only one anyone local had available. So that will be limiting the flow very slightly as its 3/8 not 1/2 inch. 

Anyway, I will stop blabbing and I will let you know as soon as I take her out and see if the issue is solved. 

I may also post up a thread about fitting the Accusump as it may be useful for someone else in the future, you never know.

Guest SFX-Joe
Just now, brumster said:

Bloody hell, you don't mess around do you :) !! Nice one, irrespective of the issue you had, they are great little bits of kit for what they do so it's a nice addition to have... glad the suggestion worked

Nope, i'm an impatient bugger at the best of times. I will be sure to keep you updated with how I get on with it. I accidentally went for the larger 3qt Accusump rather than the small or medium that would have done the trick.... That was me being impatient and not really thinking it through... But hey ho, better to have the excess reserve there than go to small.... 

The solution is pinned, I’m surprised this thread has gone so long without someone pointing you to the correct thread.

the dip stick is for the oil level and had no relation to oil capacity.

you should not exceed the max level or the oil will be foamed by the crank.

if you have shortened the sump you need to add capacity.

the RS2000 sump is safe even if it hangs a few mm below the gearbox, I use them on 2 of my Pinto’s

Guest SFX-Joe
2 hours ago, Snapperpaul said:

I have read that and is where I got my measurements from to make sure the 'level' is correct. It was found to be the depth of the sump causing issues.

I did consider the RS2000 sump but I read somewhere that it wont fit with my type 9 4 speed rocket box? The clutch cable or something cant be run where it needs to be on the RS sump due to the design?

Edited by SFX-Joe