Sorry guys me again πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

Dcsinclair22

Hi guys, so spent all day rewiring the car, took it for a drive and had a horrendous whirling noise, overheated too, upon inspection the alternator belt is completely shagged, worrying thing is I got a box full of spares and in the box is another belt in exactly the same condition, only problem I'm having is when I type the part number into Google it comes up with a timing belt, I don't suppose anyone has a part number for a alternator belt for a 2.0l pinto, I'm assuming (and I could be wrong) that the alternator belt isn't the same part number as it would be on a normal car? I'll post a pic of belt and of part numberΒ 

16960934046384631740461648479854.jpg

16960934200528825886214822957467.jpg

Problem is that the standard V belt lets the alternator hit the stearing shaft.

Normal work round is to fit a V belt one size down, it can be hard to fit, I found that taking the pulley off the water pump allows the belt be fitted before refitting the pulley.

I never came across a toothed belt for the alternator on a pinto though it is possible if a supercharger is fitted I supose.

I do not have the number to hand will look in the morning.

Definitley none standard.

I recently had this on one of my Saabs which turned out to be alternator bearings, a right pain, as the exhaust has to be removed to change the alternator.

Three belts repaced before the real cuprit came to light, alternator was good when cold but siezed when hot.

This was also a toothed belt for alternator, water pump, aircon compressor etc.

Good luck finding root cause.

2 minutes ago, IanS said:

Definitley none standard.

I recently had this on one of my Saabs which turned out to be alternator bearings, a right pain, as the exhaust has to be removed to change the alternator.

Three belts repaced before the real cuprit came to light, alternator was good when cold but siezed when hot.

This was also a toothed belt for alternator, water pump, aircon compressor etc.

Good luck finding root cause.

Cheers mate much appreciated, the alternator is brand new so I'm leaning towards either water pump pulley or bottom crank pulley, although the cam belt isn't worn at all so will change water pump pulley 1stΒ 

You've got a cambelt used to drive the alternator and water pump. 84 teeth and 3/4" wide like this

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/dayco-223948.html

and used on the Honda engines shown on the box you have. Any decent motor factors should be able to get one.

You don't want the belt too tight or it will fail, you should just be able to twist it 90 degrees in the middle of the longest run between the pulleys.

12 hours ago, richyb66 said:

You've got a cambelt used to drive the alternator and water pump. 84 teeth and 3/4" wide like this

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/dayco-223948.html

and used on the Honda engines shown on the box you have. Any decent motor factors should be able to get one.

You don't want the belt too tight or it will fail, you should just be able to twist it 90 degrees in the middle of the longest run between the pulleys.

Thank you very much mate, new belt ordered, if this one straps then I know there's a issue somewhere with the pulleysΒ 

New belt on, pain in the arse to fit, the bottom rad hose runs right through the middle of the belt 🀬🀬🀬 the more I work on this car the more I'm beginning to find wrong, there's got to be an easier way to get the air out the system lol, I mean the rads fitted sideways and I'm a plumber by trade and the top rad hose elbows above the engine and back down again. 

20231002_164619.jpg

To be honest, i flushed it out, put new coolant in, managed to bleed all the air out, left it running for about 20 mins (just wrapped exhaust so need wrap to set) and the temps didnt go above 80Β°, i didnt think the rad would work that way but i did see another person had fitted their rad sideways, cant remember where i saw it though, im gonna have a scout round nowΒ