Water temp gauge sensor on 205 Pinto

Mr. Squire

Brought a electric water temp gauge, just curious where would be best place to fit?

Can anyone confirm where the factory on is? is it top left side when looking at intake side?

Thanks from New Zealand in advance

• 2 months later...

Forum necromancer just saw this thread ! 🤣

I have bought a “green” sensor to replace the old non working one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315412103307

The problem I have is that it does not fit!

it goes in the hole but then it stops 1-2mm before the threads can reach the block…

the old sensor and new have same length but the width difference is 7.6mm (old) 8.3mm (new).

what am I missing here?

does anyone have the correct part number for this sensor?

I need a sensor that has a resistance range of 700Ω (cold) to 80Ω (hot)

Rust in the head.

How far can in can you push a 7mm drill? Is it far enough to take the new sender?

If so you could use a 8mm drill bit turned by hand to clear the *bleep* out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IanS said:

Rust in the head.

How far can in can you push a 7mm drill? Is it far enough to take the new sender?

If so you could use a 8mm drill bit turned by hand to clear the *bleep* out.

Thank you will try this!

I'd recommend you put a bit of grease on the drill and then any "bleep" will stick to the drill and not drop into the waterway.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 10:08 PM, ThanasisPolitis said:

Thank you for the hack and tips, worked like a charm! 👍

Just a thought, not had a Pinto for a long time, but if you had to use a drill to break the crud to get the sender in, does it mean the whole block could do with the water jacket having a good clean out? Would have thought there should be some additive you can add to the water for a period before draining & replacing with fresh coolant. Just thinking might be best to do it now rather than after it starts to overheat.

6 minutes ago, phaeton said:

Just a thought, not had a Pinto for a long time, but if you had to use a drill to break the crud to get the sender in, does it mean the whole block could do with the water jacket having a good clean out? Would have thought there should be some additive you can add to the water for a period before draining & replacing with fresh coolant. Just thinking might be best to do it now rather than after it starts to overheat.

Very good shout!

when I bought the car 2 months ago, it was overheating and had air lock issues with the cooling system and thats exactly what I am doing, I have replaced the whole of the cooling system and got distilled water and Prestone Coolant Flush, running it through and changing it, water comes out brown but it is not as bad as the first run! 

Edited by ThanasisPolitis
  • Like 1