Had My Iva Today

magh

So today was the big day, the Iva. Got to my local testing station at beverley nice and early as I had a 7.30 test. Not long after the chap came over and introduced himself and the test begun.

So it failed! But as crazy as it sounds Im really happy with my fail sheet lol.

The tester was a genuinely nice chap who took the time to explain things and what they were checking for. So quite a few aspects of the test I was worried about the noise test been one but sailed through at 96db with the standard Robin Hood stainless manifold and back box. The brakes also worried me as I dont run with a servo and all the components were brand new and I didnt have the time or opertunity to bed them Im but again they got through with all green boxes.

So my fail sheet contains 3 points all of which are fair and I fully agree with.

1. Wetting of fuel around pipe from tank at point it mounts to the pump not dripping but a clear leak. Now this has all been in place a year or so but Im guessing as Id just filled the tank the weight of the head of fuel caused this problem. Not a big issue and easily fixed which I could of done there but needed to return anyway so didnt see the point.

2. Upper steaming column mount was to flexible. After seeing how bad the things 2b supplied sheet of folded stainless was I had one laser cut to Colin ushers design. All I need to do is mount a brace from that to the chassis to stiffen it.

3. When clutch is depressed and brake been applied you could catch your clutch foot if wearing boots as they were. So simply move the brake pedal over slightly. My fault really as I built the box and adjusted it all nice and tight but too tight as it turned out.

So thats it now I think ive got off very lightly and the cherry on the cake was the compliment from the tester on how good and attention to detail I had paid to the build.

Will be ringing first thing Monday morning to book my 30min retest slot. 👍😬😬

Mike.

• Like 4

I think it was last week haha.

I think its most likely 4 hours work and it will be done.

Will I need an mot before applying for my registration as Im trying to keep an age related plate?

Good result even with the minor fails. Sounds like you had a fair examiner who knows a good build when he sees one.

No mot required, just send off the paperwork. Keep a copy of your MAC certificate, it's a good souvenir to keep and you won't get the original back.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Had the retest this afternoon and to my delight the same tester who rembered the car from last time. A quick check on the 3 fails and he was more than happy with the fixes so Im now the proud owner of a pass certificate.

Now to start the dreaded paperwork to dvla Ive already got the v55/5 from them ready to fill in.

• Like 2