R-V8 Into A Exmo Project

richardm6994

I am going to cut the triangle out of the alternator bracket tonight so I'll update that bit later....

In the mean time, I've moved onto the electric water pump. The first job is to make a blanking plate over where the original water pump mounted. This blanking plate also serves as the cold water inlet point from the electric water pump. As such, I'm going to feed this plate with 2x22mm diameter connections to feed each side of the engine block with cold water (this is how I've seen others do it).

Because I don't want just a flate square plate blanking off the water pump hole, I'm going to call in a favor from an engineering company I know who will laser cut me the exact profile...all I need to do is provide them with an AutoCAD drawing so they can upload it onto their software...

Simple shapes are easy to copy and draw into AutoCAD by simply measureing the object with a pair a calipers. The water pump cover is a very "curvy" shape and would take ages to draw in AutoCAD if it wasn't for this little trick....(without going into too much boring details and also my screen dump has stopped working)

1) Scan in the gasket and convert image to PDF and then copy and paste the PDF image into AutoCAD

gasket2_zpsdbe3dac9.jpg

2) Trace around the image in AutoCAD

gasket3a_zps61a6336f.jpg

3) Delete the image and you are just left with the AutoCAD outline.

gasket3b_zps43524620.jpg

4) Print off the drawing at 1 to 1 and lay the gasket over to check and make any twweks to the drawing as required. (the plate is 2mm bigger than the gasket)

gasket4_zpsf2eda9f2.jpg

Job done in 20 minutes and the plate is being cut and should be with me on Friday!

Cheers for the offer mate... let me have a ponder because I'd originally planned on soldering 2 22mm connections onto the plate for some silicon hoses to connect onto...

I'm not sure how I'd connect the hoses onto the plate in carbon fibre......albeit if theres a will theres a way! and I'd love some fancy carbon!!

I don't think 22mm is big enough diameter for flow rate Rich?? I'd go 32 or even 35 mate. Make the plate out of alloy and tig on the 2 inlets at an angle. Flatten the ends that weld to the plate into a rectangle form so as they fit in the available space between the mounting holes??

I must admit, the size of these inlet ports has been playing on my mind for a while now. The plate is being cut with 22mm ports but thats not to say I can't enlarge them further.

I've seen a few rover v8 ewp conversions on the internet and generally they look like this guys;

gasket5_zps240afe3b.jpg

His are even smaller!!

The radiator hoses are 32mm which is a csa of 804mm2

the 2x22mm inlets have a combined csa of 760mm2 which is about 94% of the radiator hoses. I was thinking of using a 22mm-32mm reducing elbow on these 2 inlet ports as well so that the 22mm dia is kept to a minimum length.

You've got me worried again now! Time for a bit more pondering......

Great skill set from you Richard and understanding from Nick (both on the same hymn sheet!).

Just a thought, to increase the volumetric opening of the plate, and using the idea from Nick about tig welding flattened inlets, could you also machine out the area within the flange to give you the open volume you require? It looks like you have enough spare ally to play with.

By using reducers, you could run the risk of creating a restriction within the cooling system

Just a thought

I didn't Rich, i just sat and freehand drew the outline whilst looking at your scanned image picture.

A click of the mouse to pad it to 3D and et-voila. :db:

A bit more work and draw it properley to scale including forward clearance, potential pipe routing etc and

it's a winner i reckon mate. The bigger the bore, the better the flow....

Looks good though mate.....

Have you a shot blast tank? if not drop me that stat housing off and i'll sort it for you.

I'll take you up on that pal. Thanks.

I've ordered some 28mm & 32mm tubing to have a go at shaping / squaring the ends to fit on the plate and then i will enlarge the 22mm holes that have been cut in the plate. Ive had another look at the engine tonight (been cutting the hole in the alternator bracket) and the best idea I've got in mind for the plumbing needs two short pipe stubs coming off the plate perpendicular for me to connect onto with silicon bends.