Vauxhall Turbo Problems

steve in stockport

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see you having problems. My first "no compression" was a burnt out valve. Your piston looks a lot worse. My rebuild is now complete , after rebore, pistons, journals , --the works. I hope it flies as before !!. Good luck with your refurb. I hope the bores are rescue-able.. My bigger pistons cost an arm and a leg.. (gave me 40cc more). Maybe your compression was a little too high for the turbo? Graham B

pistons out today, 1,2 and 4 all look fine and dandy, number 3 is a little worse for wear

20130618_115030.jpg

The cylinder is going to need some work, melted alloy stuck to the wall which may machine off, but there are a couple of vertical marks which aren't scratches but still aren't normal or good.

So the question is, if it's not saveable do I go for oversize pistons or a cylinder sleeve and a new standard piston?

Guest mower man

I had sim on my pinto , because I kept pushing more and more advance on but was a lucky it didn't mark the bore a quik deglaze ,new piston and it was back running had 2 years plus out of it ,now sparks have dissapeared and hope fully the comb of myself Mark B and Dan will sort it!!! mower man :clapping:

yes, pistons are normally ali and cooled by the oil. ali blocks have cylinder liners for wear resistance. The piston shouldn't really touch the cylinder - that's the job of the rings, which are usually cast iron with a hard chrome coating.

If the pistons were steel/cast iron they'd be so heavy that it would severely limit the revs you could reach.

Dunno what pistons they are (VXR?), but probably cast in any case.

I went for forged ones....mine came from AUTOSPRINT a guy called geoff dodds.

Top notch.....I had a little hiccup with mine (due to unknown pedigree of my block), but he

put everything right at no charge.

He machined a set of OMEGA forged pistons to get the C/R I wanted...

http://www.autosprint.co.uk/

Detonation is a B$£"%rd....It just needs a small chink in a piston...once the flame front can bypass it, it acts like a thermal lance & torches anything in its path.

The original was fitted with a knock sensor, it may need a tweak to your engine management system but its a good insurance policy.

Been there, seen it done it, last time it cost 7 pistons....here's a sample..

Now we have a knock sensor fitted...

BTW this piston fits a 1250 cc bore...

post-71-0-73968400-1371648093_thumb.jpg