More Wiring Help...this Time Indicator Hazards

richardm6994

This is the helpful diagram I followed when wiring my indicators....

a463727-Ford2520Indicator2520Wiring_zpsae7df40d.jpg

Last night however, I broke my hazard button in the stalks and now the indicators don't work at all!

Can anyone please give me an idea, or even better a diagram to follow so that I can wire a seperate hazard switch in (I'm thicking of a dash mounted switch).

I dunno.....wired it exactly as per the drawing and it worked perfect until I broke the hazard switch.

The replacement stalks on ebay (transit) don't look 100% the same as the one I've got (they have a horn button in the end whereas mine don't) so I don't want to buy a new one only to find it does fit!

I was just thinking of wiring in a switch but I don't know how this should be wired

The indicator & hazards are inter-linked with some mechanical magic in the deep dark depths of the switch you have just "adjusted" best bet is replace like for like, otherwise you may need both hazard & indicator dash switches. Longboarder has posted diagrams of internals somewhen in the past , I Think.

One of the jobs the hazard switch does is swap the electrical supply to the relay from ignition live to constant live when it's switched on. (It also links the L and R indicator circuits when on and links to the hazard warning light).

Sounds like the hazard switch has broken and now neither power source is available to the relay. Check it by leading 12v direct from battery to pin 49 on the flasher relay. Assuming the indicator switch is OK you should now have indicators working.

Best/easiest fix IMO would be to replace the broken column switch with an identical one (so there are no wiring changes needed).

Nigel

it's definately the hazard button that's broke......I caught it with my elbow last night whilst leaning over the steering column and smacked the button off.....springs gone flying god-knows-where along with 1 of the copper 4 contacts in the button!

In reality, all I need is a new button!!! DOH!!!!

Anything in the MOT guide to say you can't have indicators on perm live rather than ignition switched?
Don't know but if you did then you would have to wire in such a way that you prevented a constant live backfeed into the ignition live circuits when the ignition is off enabling a thief to start the car. I suggested a battery live to relay terminal 49 for testing purposes.

Careful search for the missing bits and reassemble the switch??

Nigel

Careful search for the missing bits and reassemble the switch??

Nigel

sod's law will be that they turn up once the problem is fixed!

The little copper contact did turn up on the search....it's the little springs that have gone missing.....but they look similar size to those found in a clicky-pen so will be giving that a go tonight....fingers crossed.