Type 9 Gearbox, Main Oil Seal Replacement.

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Evenin all.

So was working on the Pain in the arse, (Sorry 'Car') the other day and found a not insignificant puddle of suspicious red fluid under the gearbox casing.

Now I'm pretty certain that this is a main oil seal issue due to being able to see where its run down from, unless anyone has any other ideas?

My main question is, when it comes to replacing this, I take it i have to do all the gaskets in the box?

Also do i need any fancy tools?

Just want to go into this prepared thats all.

Many Thanks as always

joe

The front seal on the input shaft? Nothing special needed although if I remember rightly to get the input shaft to disengage enough to remove it, you have to drop the layshaft a little. Certainly no need to do all the seals but if you're taking it apart you might as well - and check the bearings while you're at it. The rear layshaft bearing can be a bit of a pig if it needs doing but everything else is really easy - most I needed to do was fabricate some arms for my hub puller to pull 5th off the output shaft, only because it needs to be quite long to pull off it. But if you're purely doings seals/gaskets, you should have no need to do this.

Guest Ian & Carole

Brumster the input shaft seal is in the clutch arm carrier and just comes out of the carrier with a drift, it is bolted to the gear box with 4 - 6mm bolts no need to even drop the bell housing off the box although if it is this seal it is engine out.

Most people refer to the main oil seal as the output shaft / prop shaft seal which is a fiddle on a 7 but can be done if you haven't got the completely enclosed floor, if you have then that's a floor chop or engine and box out, no gear box stripping required though.

Sorry to contradict you. :sorry:

Brumster the input shaft seal is in the clutch arm carrier and just comes out of the carrier with a drift, it is bolted to the gear box with 4 - 6mm bolts no need to even drop the bell housing off the box although if it is this seal it is engine out.

Most people refer to the main oil seal as the output shaft / prop shaft seal which is a fiddle on a 7 but can be done if you haven't got the completely enclosed floor, if you have then that's a floor chop or engine and box out, no gear box stripping required though.

Sorry to contradict you. :sorry:

No, no, please do, I was working from memory!

Agreed the rear seal is nothing to do other than getting to it, but given the location of the oil spill I guessed it wasn't this one.

I'm with you on the front seal now though, I recall the carrier you're on about - it's not really a seal is it, just a cork or paper gasket? Or have I forgotten the seal as well? Maybe I have blurred the two.

It's not coming from the intermediate alloy spacer on the 5-speed is it, O.P.?

So I agree, should think more I put finger to keyboard - input shaft removal not necessary ;) sorry!

Guest Ian & Carole

The clutch arm carrier has a seal in the housing and then a paper gasket between housing and gearbox casting.

Full set here 3rd one being for the speedo drive gear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TYPE-9-GEARBOX-OIL-SEAL-KIT-Sierra-Capri-5-Speed-Kitcar-Getriebe-Caterham-/390658476006?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af50f47e6

Guest Jomeo69

morning all.

thank you all for your feedback so far.

So hopefully this will shed some light onto my issue.

Im hoping that i won't have to pull the gearbox and engine out if at all possible.

richyb66 Yes that would be an option if the car had actually been for iva yet but as it hasn't I'm guessing the tester doesn't want red gearbox oil dripping everywhere.

IMG_1054.jpg

So this photo shows it best.

This is the little dribble (when cold anyway)

To the left is the bell housing and to the right is the gearbox casing.

You can just about see the drip and the trail where it has come from ( or i hope you can anyway) lol

Just in between the bellowing and the casing.

If anyone could shed any light on how much of a pain the is to do or a easier way to do it id be very grateful.

Many thanks as always

Joe

Thats either the front oil seal, or the paper gasket gone. You need to split the engine & box either way,

so probably best to replace both.

I dont know if you can remove the box on its own in a superspec.

On the 2B I remove the engine & box together.

From here on its easy!

Once apart remove the bellhousing from the box. On the front of the box, there is the casting the clutch bearing runs on.

It is held by 3 (or 4?) small bolts. Remove it & the oil seal is inside at the rear.

HTH Bob

I managed to replace my type 9 oil seal with it and the engine still in the car. Just took the prop shaft out and supported the engine while sliding the gearbox back enough to get at the seal at the front of the gearbox. Although I had to replace my engine main seal anyway so I thought while it was out I might as well do the gearbox too. Only 1 I couldn't get to was the speedo drive seal.

Can't emphasize enough the need to get those two gaskets properly seated with a thin smear of goo on both sides when bolting the bellhousing and input shaft tube housing on the front of the gearbox. A very common site for leaks. Far more common than the bearing seals.

Nigel

Guest Jomeo69

I recon i can have the gearbox out without the engine. will give it a go this weekend.

on the gasket front. if changing the one around the input shaft surely i only need the gasket or is the bearing tube done as well?

Thats absolute gold.

Thank you all very much.