Older Kits

exlabman

Hi,

New to the forum

Been looking into kit cars for a while, nearly bought a new 2B a few years ago and would still like to build one.

Due to budget constraints I have thought about buying a part build and (starting again) finishing it off.

One thing that worries me the most is the SVA/IVA beast.

Are the older cars like the S7 or 2B difficult to get through? Does much need to be changed?

I am no engineer but am a competent amateur having changed my Rover 45 head gasket (yes they all do that) using Haynes and helpful forum only as well as many repairs to old duff mk II cavaliers.

Ive seen some on EBAY but don't want to be taking on a world of pain vs HM gov.

On the other hand I'm also seriously looking at a new zero kit. For a budget conscious (tight) yorkshire person, how much could I get the kit on the road for after the £2350 (or thereabouts) kit price?

Ford vs mazda kit, advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

David

The S7 to S3a series of Monocoques (including the Exmo) can past but need a few modifications, the 2b was designed to pass SVA and the IVA is not that different so should be no more difficult than any other kit car

I got a Monocoque S3 through SCA in 2008 and recently Chris Russ got an Exmo through IVA

The critical area is seat belt upper mounting height lesser issues are steering column support. Seat mounts and sharp edges the rest is as required by IVA for any kit car

The mere fact that there are Part built kits for sale should tell you something - many people who start building kits don't ever finish and a proportion of those will be because they underestimated the amount of work involved.

As other have said, most of the common failure points of any model are now widely recognised and are generally easy enough to include in your build if they're done at the correct time.

Having build my 2B from a part built kit, my opinion now is that unless you've got a burning desire to build a kit from scratch, buy sometinhg that's already correctly registered and then tinker with that.

If you're dead set on your own build, remember the following:

A 90% complete part built is probably only really 40% built and could well need the same spending on it again to finish it.

Decent complete single donor Sierras are getting thin on the ground and expensive if you want to go the single donor, age related plate route.

Avoid the RH lightweight if you happen to see one, whilst they can be got through IVA, they're probably not the best thing for a first time builder.

• Like 1

my opinion now is that unless you've got a burning desire to build a kit from scratch, buy sometinhg that's already correctly registered and then tinker with that.

Amen to that!

My Exmo was built and correctly registered by the first owner.....then completely stripped by his son (dad passed away) and then he lost interest and sold the box of bits to me in 2004.......most of the bits were there as it had already been road worthy and so very little money was needed to get it back on the road......and once it was on the road I then spent the rest of my money on stickers...spoilers...and engines! :crazy: :rofl:

• Like 1

TBH thats what I should have done, but then I should have researched the model I was buying more before I bought it, but then if I had done that I would never have bought it, and because of the way it came to be mine, I might not have spent the last 2 and a bit years with a kit in the garage that i can work on and tinker with when the wife allows!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

Going to have a look at this tomorrow, 3hrs each way so I hope it's a good un.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161190254530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

He said he taxed and tested it on the Sierra V5 but was then told that was naughty so hasn't used it since.

Got some paperwork but not receipts for the donor car (has the V5 though)

Says he hasn't attempted IVA so will have to see what can be done.

I realise this might not be the easiest route, but it's a way I can afford with some left for IVA bits.

Any comments on what to look for appreciated.

Cheers

D

I bought mine bent it and rebuilt it. I also finished a club members super spec off and got GBS to iva it I would say if you really want to build/ finish a part built go for 2B / superspec or a Zero. but any part built will require some back tracking to check all is ok

Guest Ian & Carole

Thanks for the input guys.

Going to have a look at this tomorrow, 3hrs each way so I hope it's a good un.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161190254530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

He said he taxed and tested it on the Sierra V5 but was then told that was naughty so hasn't used it since.

Got some paperwork but not receipts for the donor car (has the V5 though)

Says he hasn't attempted IVA so will have to see what can be done.

I realise this might not be the easiest route, but it's a way I can afford with some left for IVA bits.

Any comments on what to look for appreciated.

Cheers

D

That looks OK as long as you don't lose the fact that to be road legal it MUST go through IVA, you will need lots of build pics so a lot of stripping and rebuilding.

Like others have said a poor quality but registered car might be a better option.

There are always cars for sale so don't rush out and buy the first only to regret it later.