Mt75 Gearbox In A 3A

rthomas69

I've been offered an MT75 gearbox (from a Sierra dohc) to go with a high spec 2.1 pinto I'm getting but will it actually fit in my 3A as I know it's a larger casing than the type 9? It does seem an obvious upgrade as my type 9 is only a 4 speed which was mated to a standard 1.8 pinto.

Rich

After a bit of digging I believe my diff is a 3.62 & yes it is a 4 speed type 9. So based on that I'm guessing the diff would be ok? As for the propshaft are they different splines or length or both? And the other question is whether an MT75 would physically fit in the tunnel? Or am I just better off keeping the set up I have & just do a direct replacement (2.1 pinto replacing the 1.8)?

It doesn't really matter but Burton Power say the 4 speed sierra box is the type E. When it went to 5 speed it then became the type 9. Yes Tractor, they are called rocket boxes but the rocket term should refer to the competition 4 speed versions. Am I wrong but doesn't the MT75 box have a flanged output for the propshaft?

Guest Ian & Carole

It doesn't really matter but Burton Power say the 4 speed sierra box is the type E. When it went to 5 speed it then became the type 9. Yes Tractor, they are called rocket boxes but the rocket term should refer to the competition 4 speed versions. Am I wrong but doesn't the MT75 box have a flanged output for the propshaft?

Correct. 4 is E rocket was a comp version of the E

Mt75 is flanged so new prop will be needed. Even if you changed to a five speed type nine you would need a different prop as the 4 Speed is splined different. Gbs do my75 prop for zero not sure if it fits a 3a but it is sleeved. I have seen my75 in 2b but have no idea on yours. Type9 would be an easier mod

Sierras came with type 3 box (20 spline prop 1.3 and some 1.6 models), type E box (23 spline prop some 1.6 and some 2.0 models) and type 9 box (some 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 models) and then mt75s.

You could have a type 3 or E. Both are shorter than the type 9 and have a mount forward of the position that a type nine mounts but different spline sizes.

Nigel