Seat Fixings

Guest colin law

Guest colin law

Hi All,

Can anyone help?... I have a 2B that's not IVA'd yet.

I have spoken to Simon at G.B.S and he informed me that the seat fixings require additional support. The kit i have is old and the regs have changed from when this was put together. (Fixing them to the original floor is no longer suitable and a new plate is required to be welded in).

Has any one else done this or can anyone send photos of what I need to do.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Our 2B seats are mounted on 2 channel sections (2 pr seat ) -- 2" x 1" which run front to back under the seats & are bolted to the cross member which joins the seatback panel to the floor ( additional part made by me ) & the chassis cross tube just before the foot - well.

For IVA you can just use load spreading washers however the floor moves a bit so the above posts stating front to rear box or angle under the floor is a good idea, will stiffen the floor and provide a better feel when pushing on once on the road

Hi my 2B was built by GBS it is a Superspec and is slightly wider than the normal 2B. The Seats were taken out by the guy who originally bought it / had it built by GBS and they were replaced with Cobra Leather Seats which are very comfortable. The seats are on Runners so that when I get in I can move to the back which makes it easier for me to get in and out. If you can I would fit your seats with Runners from what I can see these are bolted through the floor and add extra strength to the position.

Sorry I am not able to assist further but if you can use runners it does make getting in out and comfortable in a driving position better.

Good Luck

Steve

Hi my 2B was built by GBS it is a Superspec and is slightly wider than the normal 2B.

Are you sure? don't mean to doubt you but i thought the 2b chassis was the same whether it was used for the superspec or normal. Although i do remember one that removed the subframe arm ends. Is that where they got the extra room?

I know there are a couple of variants over the years ....

sliding pillar

2b with front wishbones for pinto/type 9

2b with wishbones for dohc/mt75

2b with wishbones for Rover/mt75

have i forgotten one?

The videos always said when using angle iron to have the downward piece to the rear, i think so that if you hit something it would bend more open easily. The other way round would be more strength to bend the angle tighter and risk damaging whatever it was attached to.

Guest colin law

Thank you to everyone that has replied. Some really useful information here.

The seats came already fitted with 75 x 75 x 6 mm plates bolted on, but not sure if this would pass the IVA test as not welded. Not sure if these would count as spreader plates, hence the reason for post.

On the subject of runners - really good idea, but at 6ft 3, I need the seat as far back as possible, as for my girlfriend driving back from pub....at 5ft, I'd need more than runners in the car, i think she'd need cushions to see over the dash board!

Thanks again everyone

Colin

Guest colin law

the plates are underneath,but held on with the seat bolts and not welded to floor.so was unsure if this was ok to pass iva .or did i need a more secure fixing.[welded plates,box section etc]

If possible, more strengthening is better.

2 lengths of angle iron right across the car & bolted to the side chassis rails has always

been OK in the past, at the front & rear of the seat.

Then either bolt the seat or the runners to them.

Are you sure? don't mean to doubt you but i thought the 2b chassis was the same whether it was used for the superspec or normal. Although i do remember one that removed the subframe arm ends. Is that where they got the extra room?

I know there are a couple of variants over the years ....

sliding pillar

2b with front wishbones for pinto/type 9

2b with wishbones for dohc/mt75

2b with wishbones for Rover/mt75

have i forgotten one?

The videos always said when using angle iron to have the downward piece to the rear, i think so that if you hit something it would bend more open easily. The other way round would be more strength to bend the angle tighter and risk damaging whatever it was attached to.

When I talked to GBS prior to buying my Superspec I was advised by them that the Superspec was about 3.5 inches wider, I never queried it but when I bought it from Neville who was the original purchaser he had also been advised that the Superspec was wider. Will check in my paperwork and advise further.

Cheers

Steve