Cylinder Head & Parts Storage

ZeroKnowledge

Iam trying to tidy the garage & shed to have a bit more space to work in so Iam moving all spares to a small loft area above the garage.

this is what I have - all from 2.0 DOHC, should they be covered in oil / WD40 / wrapped in oily paper / left dry ???

Engine (on a stand) will be stored in corner of garage

Alloy cylinder head with cams / valves etc attached (oiled when rebuilt)

water pump (new)

alternator (new)

brake calipers (used)

complete rear brake drums (used)

drive shafts (new)

MT75 gearbox (used)

Diff (used)

front hubs (used)

The wee loft is well ventilated

Cheers Paul

It's about keeping the damp out

WD40 doesn't realy stay on, a wipe with oil as stated and cover with oily rags

All ports & holes covered

Do not whatever you do stuff paper down the inlet ports, dummy fit the inlet manifold, forget you put paper down the ports and spend a lot of time trying to start it, take a plug out and find paper in the hole.

Only a fool would do that.

• Like 2

Another fool here! Rebuilt a vee-twin engine, put a bung in the common intake manifold to "protect" it, forgot about it and put the air filter system on. After fitting the engine came to start it - nothing! Checked ignition, timing, cam settings and tried again, nothing. Oh dear ( or words to that effect). Marg came in had a look and said "you did take that bung out?" and went back into the house!

Rob

Guest 2b cruising

Quite a few idiots where I used to work. ie, changing blown turbo's without checking oil supply. The times I was called to M20 just about 2 miles from work to investigate blown new turbo's just fitted in our workshops.

Faults ranged from faulty oil pumps to blanking plugs not removed from turbo oil ports when fitted.

Boss used to love the guys that did original repairs as no warrantee allowed on such occasions. Ooops.£££££££££££.

I don't know how true it is but i have heard it said that oily rags can spontaneously catch fire! so i'd be on the side of caution if you are going to leave oily rags about. At least do a bit of a read to see if it is non-sense for your own piece of mind. I know for a fact some chemicals can cause ignition just by contact. Super glue and cotton will ignite quite easily.

Perhaps wax paper is the best thing to wrap the parts in after a quick wipe of oil. Silica packs to absorb water like you get in shoe boxes etc are also useful.

hth

Guest peter2b2002

Years ago when i worked on british rail to start some of the old engines they soaked a rag in petrol lit it chucked it into the inlet to help start the engines

petrr2b

Oily rags spontaneously combust

Not in a cold garage

Perhaps a pile of them in a container could work like a compost heap but wrapped around a head or engine no problem

In a warm garage loft though?

Edited by theduck

An oily rag on its own wont spontaneously combust otherwise there would be a lot of garage fires! Other than a direct chemical reaction between two volatile chemical most fires need an ignition source unless of course it is self heating by bacterial action.

Went to a barn fire yesterday afternoon that was set off by an overheating heap of horse poo! With the popularity of recycling nowadays there are quite a few fires at recycling centres some of them caused by self heating. Not very environmentally friendly at all.