So That's What The Bang Was.

Longboarder

Guest Ian & Carole

Wow!!

In all my years in the motor trade and competition I have never seen a disc do that.

No other damage Nigel?

Good job it didn't happen at speed.

Had a lump come out of a hire car disc several years ago, mentioned to the garage that the brakes felt a little "lumpy" but thought maybe due to car not being used for a while. Matters didn't improve on second day so returned car, they immediately inspected & showed the disc with a piece missing almost same size as pad. Luckily I have always used engine braking to slow the car, brakes not required 'til last few mph needs loosing.

To the naked eye most of the break is not rusty but some is. The crack has been there for some time. There is also a crack in the wheel/hub surface of the bell shown in the pic from 9 o'clock through 6 to 3o'clock. I have just completed this crack with the vice and a hammer and lo and behold it is also part rusty so not a new crack. Stranger and stranger. Outlined the margins roughly with white line.

Nigel

post-21-0-83990800-1436474079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Guest 2b cruising

Did you fit them new or do you know there full history.

Has the wheel had a side on bump some time.

Red hot discs being used through cold water puddle.

I have seen the bell braking faces brake up before but never one like this.

Edited by 2b cruising

Reminds me of the "Wheel tappers and shunters" TV program.

This was based on the job of wheel tappers. If you tap the discs, they should ring like a bell. A cracked one will sound dull and very different.

(guess everyone will be tapping their discs now ... ) :)

Simon.

This is from my spare SDI polo. Sad. I have two. It is driven round plymouth, seldom gets above 40mph. I drive like your granny. Had the car 3 years, discs are older than that. Never kerbed by me. Dry day and I doubt the discs ever get more than warm.

Nigel