Garage

jaimo

i am in process of buying a new house and if purchased need to build garage

i suppose theres 3 choices

1. get builders and build brick garage (cost alot)

2. prefab concrete (errect myself)

3. wooden (either buy kit or build myself from scratch) with hopefully help from top joiner ivan lol

what i am wanting is advice etc on what to do and pros and cons from all types

thansk in advance

lol i have to keep missus happy

only stipulation i got on house is somewhere to build a garage

and the one we going for is brand new with space next to it for a garage length of house and at least garage and half width so just smaller than double the wooden i idea i am thinking is along lines of ivans if anyone seen it

The house is built and ready to move in but trying to get deal if buy house give me permission for garage save me a few quid so the built with house option is out but was thinking while other builders on site could get try get them to build one back hander weekend work lol

But if not would coat alot

Edited by jaimo

i have a prefab shed. same but smaller than a prefab garage.

they have different planning permission as they are a temporary building, if things havent changed.

to keep costs low ,you could do with dropping on a second hand one. proper cheap then.

I would say brick built is the best, then the prefab construction type (my uncle had a double one and it was superb), then wood. You will need a damp proof course in the floor. Mine didn't and I had it ripped out and replaced it with one that did, it cured the rising damp problem straight away.

Definitely ask your local authority about planning permission as they may not accept certain materials or sizes. Our local authority got tough on people putting conservatories up without permission and they were forced to take them down.

Guest 2b cruising

If other houses being built on same estate have garages, planing permission probably already there for one.

Property developers usually do them in block as they apply for the full estate in one go.

You would then have to use the same materials as on plan.

If seller won't let you have plans, you can go to the local town hall and ask to see them.

While you are there, enquire about building one to their plans. I don't think the builders can stop you using the same plan.

Double check on covenants and plans .. get your solicitor to check there sent any restrictions on a new build estate... You will be suprised what they sneak in . Especially if lease hold or there's a management charge for the open spaces like there is on our "village" costs us 390 quid for a sellers pack from them and we are free hold !!!

Basically its a shared ownership 50/50 with doncaster council which after 1 year we can buy anything from 5 to the 50 which they own so will own it all so as its council they can grant permission and if its not in black and white i wont buy it