Garage

jaimo

Mines made from breeze block which stays pretty warm & insulated in winter.

I have insulated the roof & put up plasterboard which has also made it much cooler in summer.

Painted the ceiling & the walls white which makes it much brighter than before too.

Then I added a big double rad attached to the house central heating.....

& carpets......and a fridge......and a kettle....and a cupboard for T bags etc

and the old kitchen units after I agreed to let the Boss have a new kitchen.

Pretty cosy all year.

Edited by Bob Tucker
  • Like 1

I tried to convince my parents to help me buy a house that had a conservatory at the back which had access through the garage and then a set of massive rear doors for the conservatory. I was pretty confident I'd be able to have got the Zero in there for the rebuild ;)

The trouble with timber is it needs constant maintenance otherwise it will deteriorate quickly. Also you have to think about how it will look to your neighbours,you can bet your life that the retired colonel at number forty four will be on the phone to the council if your man cave looks like something from the worst part of soweto.Prefab ones are ok but you still need a decent flat base to put it on, they are not that cheap new and second hand ones tend to get knocked about because of their weight and size. They are however waterproof and maintenance free once they are up. Brick is obviously best because it is permanent and built to your design but costs can be prohibitive. I bet that if you look into the rules and plans agreed to by the council that there will be some sort of caveat regarding the size of extensions and garages in relation to the size of the house.

I personally would go for a decent shed first whilst salting away my hard earned cash and keeping an eye out for some sort of prefab.

Yes, our estate had all the garages built without a damp proof membrane in the floor as they believed you only put a car in it and do nothing else. I had the concrete floor taken out by a contractor that I used to use and found it was only about 50-60mm thick. He replaced it with a thicker concrete one with a damp membrane and laid it to a slight fall towards the door. This allowed me to coat the floor in a 2 pack coating to seal it and give a nice place to work. Just need to persuade SWMBO to let me have an insulated roller door to stop the wind blowing in round the up and over door!

Specced a decent wooden garage up, I dug the foundation myself, hardcored it and poured concrete for the based. I then had a wooden garage built 20 x 8 and assembled on site. All in for less than £2000.

Only problem is that it does not stand a chance with determined burglers

• Like 1

And make it BIGGER

I cannot make it any bigger - 8m x 3m is all I have to play with at the end of my garden :)

This is so I can move everything out of my garage and store in in here until I get the garage repaired (roof collapsed late last year and is being held up by sticky tape and tacks).

Ahhhhhhh...Phil, fancy building a 2 story extension where my existing garage is? :crazy:

When my wife's firm did some remodelling of their site she managed to scrounge me a shed which was effectively two sheds joined together. We had to remove it in short order, no time to dig out the supporting pillars, I just cut them off with a large angle grinder then got a local firm to weld on some extensions so that I could get my taller vehicles in. I put box profile steel on instead of the wooden cladding and then filled it up with vehicles and junk!

In my 10 metre by 7 metre shed I have a grey fergy, a forward control landrover, my robin hood, a silva leader kit, a sankey wide track trailer to go with the landrover and a six ton Coleman aircraft tug. Wish I had a bigger shed though because in another garage I have a David brown crop master and a DB aircraft tug. In my reserve garage there is a fordson e27n, my poor old range rover and unimog have to stay outside.

Does anybody think I have a problem or is this normal. I forgot there is a fordson major attached to my saw bench and fordson model n and lightweight land rover at mother in laws.

• Like 1