Heater Install Advice

Guest infernii

The MGF/TF heater is still quite big but you'd probably still get it to fit. Unless you've got one spare, you'd probably be better off fitting something more proven like a VW Polo one or a classic Mini one. I used a Mini one and it was an easy fit

Guest infernii

Thanks for the advice people!

Quick update: I bought a classic mini one. I have it mounted and wired it in. I put it in back to front and upside down so it took up as little room as poss (hope that wont affect the operation).

I know which pipe I have to tap into for the water supply but my only question is how to match the differing pipe diameters? Any advice?

Also, will this affect the cooling of the engine due to the water slowing down to pass through the smaller mini matrix?

Thanks,

Dan

the water in the system should not slow down because you are teeing into the flow pipe and teeing into the return all the difference is going to be is you will have more water volume in your system which is always better

Guest infernii

oh I see.

I thought I had to run the pipe from the carb through the heater then back to the pump as it was in the sierra.

so where do I tee from and return to? do you have any pics?

thanks

15mm copper pipe& a connector soldered on to increase O/D if required is the easy & cheap solution.

Or use olives on the pipe-- will give the necessary pipe diameter increase & allow the jubilee clip to close behind it.

Edited by florin metal works

Guest infernii

So, in my crude diagram. I do the following to the hose?

Use T pipe connectors but still leave the pipe connected to itself?

Or are some of you advising I just shrink the pipe diameter and the run it through the matrix? (not like diagram below)

OHCCoolantflowdiagram.jpg

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by infernii

Connection as shown will allow the inlet manifold to still be heated if cab heat is shut off -- but cab heat would then rely on thermo-syphon for hot water to flow though the heater matrix.

Would it hurt if water was diverted through the matrix & could not flow if heater shut off --or is there a 3 way valve ? seem to think one exists. HTH

Ford do a three way heater control valve for the first KA.

It is electrically operated but will work as a simple switch with 12V or no volts.

It eithersends the water round the heater or it just acts as a recirculate path to heat the inlet manifold.

Other ford cars may also use a similar system

On my heater circuit the water flows continuously through the heater matrix. When I want heat into the car I just turn the fan on. When the fans off there is little radiant heat (well I've not found my legs getting too hot!)

On your diagram you wouldn't get much heat as the matrix would have a continuous low resistance bypass

• Like 1