Brakes

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi. Finished the 2 b part build I bought. I have had a thought, does anyone know if I need to fit the deceleration valve or not, I thick I read somewhere a while ago wasn't needed. I wanted to make sure before I get around to IVA. Cheers. Dave

At the risk of controversy, but better it is clarified.

Current IVA manual M1 section 09E, not changed since 2010 version

notes 3&5 and that for roller test.

My reading

All vehicles must have a roller test, except those excluded in roller rest section.

If justified the tester can carry out a dynamic brake distribution test (note 5) if there is a concern from the roller test.

Decelerometer (taply) test (note 3) can only be carried out if the vehicle can not be tested on rollers as stated in roller testing section.

There is a note about mass produced vehicles (note 1) but that only excludes them from requirement 10, not the brake roller test, and not really relevant to a kit.

As usual, testers knowledge, and interpretation, of the manual is large factor to getting through the test, makes giving advise on Rhocar a can of worms.

That said, am I reading it right ? Who knows ? ☺

Guest DAVE1954

Cheers. Lads. Leave it without one, and cross fingers. .i think it's ready for Iva (checked everything over and over)if it fails on a Major item like e g. brake fair enough, but I think I would be gutted to fail on something very privial. Time to pluck up courage and send the forms in. Cheers. Dave

Hi, Iv'e been through the IVA in the last month. My 2B is fitted with discs front and rear, so I fitted the deceleration valve (15 degree angle). It was roller tested, and then taken outside for a skid test, (emergency stop from 25 MPH) to make sure that the front brakes lock before the rears. This passed OK, (second attempt). I understand from previous threads that rear drum brakes usually pass without this deceleration valve.

Guest 2b cruising

Cheers. Lads. Leave it without one, and cross fingers. .i think it's ready for Iva (checked everything over and over)if it fails on a Major item like e g. brake fair enough, but I think I would be gutted to fail on something very privial. Time to pluck up courage and send the forms in. Cheers. Dave

Good luck with your coming IVA.

Whatever happens do not feel down if you do fail.

Not many get through first time. A lot to do with examiners interpretation or self ego and the feeling of power/authority.

The lads that have been at it a long time are usually very helpful where the younger lads tend to try really hard to find fail points.

There is absolutely no shame whatsoever in failing first time.

Second time fails means you were not taking enough notice the first time.

Right time of year to do it. That way you should be well on the road for the early good weather.

Ken.

We have had minor problems on tests, horn failed, speedo failed, some things required trim or nut covers

So we have boxes of spares, wire, fuses, edge trim, but covers, silicon to glue stuff on with

Water, oil

Set of spammers sockets screwdrivers wire crimps

Anything we may need that could turn a minor fail into a pass.