House Woes

jaimo

Looks like old plaster with "horse hair" re-inforcing, & tiles stuck on top at some stage. Your house probably dates from before the 2nd world war & loose plaster is to be expected, never did key to the brick-work very well when new.

Guest 2b cruising

Been there, done that,

Luckily for me I had a good friend at the time and by the end of the following day you would never have known.

Luckily not happened since as friend moved to Cornwall.

Another cause for this is when you use a steamer to remove wallpaper.

Take care mate. It probably all needs doing throughout the house but, not all at once.

You do want to move in and have some comfort and relaxing time.

Good luck Jaimo and hope you can get settled soon.

flippin ek how hard did you 'tap' it!

did you use one of these https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gh611nI6uQo/maxresdefault.jpg

Just replastering my house, render is mostly ok but the plaster is all falling off. Saturday will be spent plastering a large ceiling.

It's quite amazing how my new float is rubbish compared to my dads old one. Got to do so wearing in before it's going to be any good.

i was glad that you don't need to cover wires before plastering anymore as long as they are in the 'safe' zone. So i just plastered mine in as the stupid plastic covering kept cracking and the cement was so hard between the bricks the nails wouldn't hold.

Are you going to board it or render/plaster?

Paint with polycell and water seal brickwork then just render basecoat as going to be covered with units and tiles luckly brother in law can plaster just not as quick lucky this house was cheap as costing a fortune

Guest mark little

Don't use silicone sealer on the brickwork and then plaster over. The new plaster won't stick, if you're going the wet plaster route use an sbr bonding agent mixed 1:1 with water mixed with cement to a creamy consistency, paint it on and plaster over while tacky. Alternatively if the house has no insulation why don't you dry line the external walls using something like a British gypsum thermaline plus plasterboard and dry wall adhesive, the difference in heating your house is phenomenal. Just a few ideas.

Mark

The house I grew up in had wattle and daub walls, when repair was required (only ever fell off after physical damage) you had to damp down the old stuff and the smell of manure came through nicely. Easy to chase for wiring though! Being a listed building we were supposed to repair like for like but I seem to remember dad's consumption of "modern" plaster was quite high!