Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Pinto is a great engine to learn on and get some experience and confidence. With the big plus of being a safe engine if you get timing wrong. Get out the spanners shout for some help and advice, you won't regret it.

• Like 1

If I were in your situation then I wouldn't let anyone panic me into spending lots of cash. I would drain the oil out from cold overnight and replace the filter (filled with 20-50) and refill the oil, crank it over with the plugs out until you have pressure, refit plugs and start the car. I would let it idle till it starts to warm before I tried any revs. If the knock is still there switch off and get the engine rebuilt, if it isnt switch off re-drain the oil and fit a new filter again and think yourself very lucky.

• Like 1

Guest mcramsay

I'm sorry to disagree but there is no way that putting in the correct grade of oil will fix that engine. The engine has been running with little or no oil pressure, clunking means contact, which will only open up tight bearing clearances more, I doubt there is any white metal left on any of the big ends.

Guest chris brown

would I be able to source all parts with the exception of the ex manifold from one donor vehicle?

not by any stretch of the imagination you will have to source water rail, engine mounts,water pump, alt and mount, ECU, plenum plus lots of other bits. Believe what people are saying you will get very little change out of £2000. Stick with the old pinto, pull it out, get your self a basic tool kit (socket set, set of combination spanners, various screwdrivers then buy other tools as you require them) and strip it down marking all the bits as you go also you will need a workshop manual. About the only other thing you will need for the rebuild is a torque wrench.

either strip the pinto...or drop a good known 2nd hand one in youve heard running..

Ivan the terrible.. just rebuilt one and dropped it in..

you could do it the other way around.. drop a runner in... then repair the one you have at leisure.or strip it down at least.

if you want im sure i have a haynes for a cortina or sierra somewhere. for a few quid ill post it out.

I looked at engine upgrade to Zetec a couple of years ago. But due to the costs stripped and rebuilt the pinto with a little work to the head. The sense of achievement is great and you will gain so much knowledge and confidence. I had done a couple of engines before but there has to be a first.

Guest Gargoil

You could phone around local engineering firms to if they can help. I found a place in Doncaster that could do most of the work with an engine rebuild. It was £1500 to end up with a known good engine but if you are stuck, it's worth the cash for the peace of mind and lesson learned. Still cheaper than installing a different engine if you don't have the knowhow and/or tools. As already mentioned, it leaves you with a good engine to learn on for the future.

Guest 2b cruising

I thought you were taking Pauls offer of help up.

That's deffo what I would do if I were in your shoes.

You don't to be messing around all summer and missing the season.

Guest jimmytwobikes

I am taking up Pauls very kind offer and will be in touch when he returns. Meanwhile its good to hear peoples differing views and suggestions, I am grateful to everyone who has commented, its all relevant, cheers. :acute:

Guest jimmytwobikes

that's great mate, I will message you my phone number. btw I drained the oil last night and as I watched it drain, I saw long streams of filings coming out, so it think it really is f****d!!

doesnt sound good... but can be rebuilt..without spending silly.

or as i mentioned before.. throw another lump in.. rebuild yours at leisure.. you can lean stuff then

Guest lotusPaul

That sounds like it will be the soft mettle of the bearings. Hopefully not causing damage to the crank. Either way going by that explanation it's going to be crank out job. Measure and buy new mains bearings. If that's all its cheap but I'd prefere a crank bearing surface polish job just to make sure, providing that's all. I'm near port way industrial estate so maybe there's a place there that can do it, not sure where you are but may be worth a check. I normaly use Saunders in Southampton but closer would be better.

Guest lotusPaul

Whoop whoop!! Jim I'm finally back home..only military can make a short hop from the land of bratwurst to UK take a whole day. Should be one of my last excursions.

So, where we at mate? How much dosh we got to spend to get her up and running without 0A getting upset?

Guest jimmytwobikes

Well I am currently in the process of selling off a project on ebay, a Banham X21 which I was going to use for summer fun until I got the 2B. whatever I get for that will be the Lions share of my available Budget. I think though it will be a straight forward rebuild as I cannot afford a lot, maybe put an ordinary cam in it and sell off the Piper cam?

Edited by jimmytwobikes