New Road Tax Rules

nelmo

I reckon kit car tax will still follow the old rules because there is no CO2

figure available for it/them

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-vehicle-tax-rates

The rate for cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 depends on CO2 emissions and fuel type. They’ll be taxed using the old system if this information isn’t available.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Not that the £40k limit is something I need to worry about, but the new rules stink to me. Let's double-tax anyone over £40k, because it's not like the 20% VAT on the thing in the first place isn't enough? So we'll grab £310 a year off you, then after 5 years we'll penalise you for keeping the car by taxing you back on the original price for the rest of the time you keep the vehicle?! I bet manufacturers of cars retailing at £40,999 are reeling right now :D !!

But, hey, great news for the average joe motorist - but I still don't like the rules, purely on the sentiment it brings.

I honest-to-god still don't see why we don't put the tax on fuel, and all pay it that way. It seems to be utterly the most fair, appropriate and reasonable way to collect funds based on how much mileage people do and how badly they are contributing to pollution. No more road tax, we all simply pay at the pumps. Mind you, the current inflated pump prices would need to become reasonable in the first place, and that will never happen, so maybe we're better off as we are with the way prices of barrels of crude change year over year!

• Like 2

Brumster is right --- & oh so wrong -- the pump inflated pump price is due to 80% tax ?? And why hammer cars ?? don't trucks,buses, locomotives & planes contribute to the enrichened air we breathe?? Moving on to central heating -- isn't our oil-fired boilers using the same stuff as diesel's but without some additives?

Steam cars fuelled by wood is the answer --- just shortens the carbon cycle a little --- tree huggers won't like it though.

• Like 1