R1 Carbs

jaimo

Guest mcramsay

Have you not just had the head off for the exact same reason and rebuilt only to have the same problem? Except this time you have fitted bike carbs which are not set up and the car is running really rough.. which could cause a heap of mis fire issues

In the nicest possible way you have the worst approach to problem solving with no logical order of trying to fix things, you just keep adding more and more parts to the car which end up not working or being bodged and then try to work out why it's not working.

Cylinder 3 has been causing issues since the start of this whole saga and i second what has been said previously. You need to stop, sit down and work out how to get the engine running correctly- for me this means pulling the pistons, honing the bores and new rings. Then put a good cylinder head on.

Otherwise you will just be going round and round in circles, you have done the easy stuff... and it's not working. Don't mean to be harsh. Just realistic

Guest mcramsay

Believe me, I'm the worst for over thinking things and go completley down the wrong track... you only have to look at some of my recent posts where I convince my self something isn't working and find things to back it up, rather than look at the simple facts as to what is wrong. My most recent thing being my radiator, the first response to my original question was my rad was too small, and after 4 weeks of trying everything else I am now fitting a bigger radiator. I loooed at fitting electric water pumps and doing some fancy ducting... these would have only covered up the major issue in my set up which is the size of the rad.

Don't get me wrong I am all for kit cars with bike carbs and mega jolt kits but you need to have a good base to start from and don't take it as me having a go, I just think sometimes some direct advice works better than trying to beat around the bush.

Take it or leave it but if it was me and the car was in my garage I would be doing some work on the bottom end, the pinto is a great engine to take apart and work on. I've even changed pistons with the engine sat in the car!

I have fitted new head few bits to connect up hopefully its head at fault if not then will rebuild bottom end

And just to clarfy with bike carbs was running great till misfire so hopefully will all be good give it ago tomorrow thanks for input guys hopefully see u at stoneleigh

Guest mcramsay

Well it's not very clear as in one post you say the carbs are popping, spitting and drinking fuel. The next it's running great. I can't keep up.

All the best with the engine!

I'm out!

It was spitting and popping mainly on tickover but once played with abit drove 100% better than on weber 32/36 which was knackered but still wanted a bit of tuning but for never messed with bike carbs i was quite impressed and i wanted to rule the carb out of problems and before wednesday the oil issue never was an issue while driving

What i mean by that was never caused an issue unless left after a run when oil seemed to stick to plug while driving it must of burned it off so lead me to head problem which wasnt solved by seals

Spoke to headmasters and they said all they did was skim and they didnt pressure test head or check guides as trainee didnt put that on paperwork when dropped off as i asked so head could have issues and was going to wait till after stoneleigh to strip due to going on holiday at weekend so wudnt have time to sort but that wasnt an option after wednesday

So hoping that the head swop sorts it if not i either got to swop engine with one i can get hold of till rebuild mine or miss stoneleigh

Dont mean to wind people up and i do appreciate advice just wanted as rich said to enjoy summer then rebuild but that plan out now

Thanks again

Edited by jaimo

It's clear that the original problem was excessive oil in number three cylinder. Just a bit too much for the engine to burn off. I suspect that when the engine was put back together clean after the rebuild there was a period of grace when it fired fairly well before number three plug got so oiled up the miss-fire returned. From your pictures 3 is badly oiled up. 1 & 2 are a bit oily and 4 is OK. Carbon staining suggests the engine was running rich since the rebuild.

I doubt that you have a cylinder head problem. That would mean that the stem seals on 1, 2 and 3 were badly fitted/failing. No cylinder head could have cracks to cause oiling in 3 cylinders. I remain convinced it is a cylinder bore wear problem, worst on 3 and not good on 1 & 2.

Cut your losses and get the block re-bored and new pistons and rings. The engine is part stripped already so taking it out of the car now would be easy. Half the work is done. It seems to me that putting the head, exhaust and all the other stuff back on only I believe to have to strip it all down again for a re-bore in a couple of weeks time would be madness and a pain in the proverbial. Bite the bullet. Do it now. It saves much time and effort in the longer run.

Nigel

Or alternatively buy another shiney part for the engine, bolt it on and put it all back together and fingers crossed it will solve the problem for another few days Lol....

Seriously though, do you not realise that your original problems haven't been solved and you're going to keep going around in circles until you start taking the advice from members here who know what they're talking about!!

It's a pinto. One of the easiest engines to work on. The majority of people on here been playing with them for years and have a vast knowledge which would have probably cured your engine woes by now if you would only listen and take some advice!

As I said in my last post to you in the trigger wheel thread, we'd be seeing more problems from your engine and here we are again - please don't make the same mistakes again..Everyone is trying to help, so please, stop making things difficult for yourself.

Take the engine block out, check bores, rings first before doing any more.

Not meaning to be harsh.....just friendly advice as it would be nice to get that exmo on the road for more than 5 minutes for the summer!

• Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=44009&page=1

Have a read of this thread..21 pages long,now read the last post especialy.

Im not going to push things and its your money but id strongly consider a bottom end rebuilt by a professional engine re manufacturer. You dont need 2.1 but its worthwhile, it actually helps un shroud the valves. Your heads been skimed so providing it checks out ok then rebuild it with the all inportant oil spray bar etc.

You need to think about this carefully, you can spend cash all day long looking for a cheap engine to swap in and solve your problems or you can get your own rebuilt properly and bite the bullet.

Unless you have a hidden collection of micrometers and bore mics then you'll never rebuild correctly.

I truely wish you the best of luck. No one here wants to see a dead hoodie.

Regards