Tyres

Alvin

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has been covered before but noticed the tyres on my car are on the limit. At the moment they are Yokohama A539 and the spare is a Toyo T1-R.

What are your preferences? I know the Toyo's are replaced with a TR-1.

Want something with a decent tread pattern and wont blow the budget. I know you get what you pay for tho..

Alan.

814cb921-5def-4a6c-8987-dae0ca88e031 (1).JPG

Ooo, I just went and dug out my receipt - it was from alltyres365.co.uk last year but you're right, no-one is showing them listed now. Seems they dropped it, and it's now TR-1 as Alvin says, or R888.

Now the R888's are awesome track day/dry tyres but I am glad I moved off them in the Zero for road use. I wouldn't be recommending them for road (and yes, I've used them hard in the past!). If there is no replacement for the R10R then that's a shame. A mate used the T1-Rs on his track car briefly and said they were *bleep*ing awful, a cheap liability.

On that basis, I'd maybe go with a decent Michelin PS3 or else take a punt on these Nankang track day tyres (NS2R might be a bit too much, like an R888, but I think they do a lesser model NS2?)... maybe play it safe and go with the rainsport/pilotsport suggestion, most people seem happy enough with them.

Edited by brumster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedTrev said:

Where from Dan? I have R1-R’s, I got them from Oponeo but can’t find them anywhere online now. Discontinued maybe 🙁

Not discountinued, but not currently available in europe due to poor fuel efficiency rating, a lot of similar tyres have been affected :(

• Like 1

Ive just changed my 20 year old Yokohama A539's for some of the new Toyo TR1's (tread pattern is nearly identical to the Rainsport 3's). Got set off ebay for about £120 delivered.

Made so much difference to the ride and handling

https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/new-proxes-tr1

Edited by geordie40

Thanks guys,

Car is going for its MOT tomorrow and think the four tyres are on the limit. They were last year but I think it's done under 100 miles between tests!

I had Michelin Pilot Sport 2's then 3's (superseeded with a 4 now!) on my M5 but wouldnt put them on the wee car. Dont think they're listed in my size.. A very good tyre but certainly more than I'd ever need on the Robin Hood..

I had Nankang tyres on a 320 BMW in the 90's and had a 'moment' in which the car did a four wheel drift off a roundabout into the next lane and then carried on. I might add that I was driving sensibly at the time. I immediately removed these and replaced them with some quality brand. I think I'm scarred from them so would struggle to go back. I do see they get a good write up though..

I can get new old stock of the T1-R's but wouldnt go down that road.

Tempted by the Uniroyal tyre. Sure is a hell of a lot of writing on the side wall though! 😁 

Alan.

The problem I see with a tyre choice is that people offer what they  honestly believe is good advice but until you've tried a wide range of tyres, from budget to high-end, in a multitude of uses, then a lot of people don't realise how "average" their "amazing" tyre is, or are coloured by a driving style that doesn't really apply to someone else (track focused versus road, don't consider wet weather performance, or how progressive the tyres are on the limit, or their needs in terms of temperature, etc).

It's impossible to try a multitude of tyres out on your car and figure what suits you, but likewise other people's opinions are subjective (and we all know the phrase, "opinions are like arseholes..." ;) ).

One thing I will say, I suspect Nankang have come a long way since the 90's :). I'm not speaking from experience though, I too have always considered them a budget brand aka "Ditchfinder"!

This is how subjective tyres are,

On 9/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, brumster said:

T1-R, no. R1-R, yes.

T1-R are my go to tyres, I fit them to track cars & have them on the buggy, to me they are a very good all round tyre. 

12 hours ago, Alvin said:

I had Nankang tyres on a 320 BMW in the 90's and had a 'moment' in which the car did a four wheel drift off a roundabout into the next lane and then carried on.

I have Nankang on the Rav4 in 30K never had an issue with them

On 9/11/2019 at 8:09 AM, brumster said:

The problem I see with a tyre choice is that people offer what they  honestly believe is good advice but until you've tried a wide range of tyres, from budget to high-end, in a multitude of uses, then a lot of people don't realise how "average" their "amazing" tyre is, or are coloured by a driving style that doesn't really apply to someone else (track focused versus road, don't consider wet weather performance, or how progressive the tyres are on the limit, or their needs in terms of temperature, etc).

Agree with what your saying, everyone different and cars used for various applications.

Well, my car passed it's MOT on Wednesday. 45 miles in one year! 

I think with mileage like that it doesn't really matter what tyres I choose 😂

Think I'll opt for the Uniroyal although it looks like I could get another couple of years out of Yokohama's!!

Appreciate all the replies.

Alan.

• Haha 1