Battery cut off switch

Disco

Hello all.

Have just decided to get back to the project (Life got in the way )after about 2 years of nothing. Have put the car together some time ago and now revisiting some of the questions I had at the time. Have fitted a battery cut off switch near the battery in the engine compartment. But it occurred to me it may need to be in the dash area? Can anyone confirm if this is right or wrong .

yours in anticipation 

Chris D

Is it for motorsport use?

If not, you don't ultimately *have* to put it anywhere, but obviously stuck in the engine bay makes it difficult to get to if you need to isolate the electrics because of, say, a fire or electrical short...

If you just want it to save the battery over periods of inactivity then not so much of an issue.... (although I'd argue the issue lies somewhere else really if that's the case!)

Depends on why you want it.  I decided I needed it when I working on the wiring and kept having to disconnect the battery.  As I would always have the bonnet off so it made sense to put it close to the battery.  But if you think you will need it when the bonnet is on, or you use it as a security device then you will have to put it somewhere more accessible.

For safety put as near the battery as possible, that will ensure all the wiring is isolated for low current needs -- battery charging via dash socket/ side lights/ clock ? / radio ?  I have a by-pass of the cut off switch with a 5 amp fused line.  If battery switch is open for security when parked in open over night any naughty fellow trying to start the motor will get no power once the starter motor is used.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, apgodden said:

Should the isolation switch be wired to the positive or negative of the battery?

mine is of the negative and I was surprised to find this as I thought it was meant to be on the positive?

Don't think it matters, mine is on negative side as well

Which side you open first is only important when disconnecting a live battery ( both terminals still connected to battery ) remove negative first as it's less likely to short the spanner on wiring -- t'other way round -- disconnecting positive first has the possibility of spanner finding earthed ( negative ) metal -- generally the chassis or metal panels.