What Was New At Stoneleigh?

Longboarder

As I had family commitments this year and missed the show for the first time in 15 years I have read the two main show threads looking to see what was in the show. All I found was a few mates gossiping like a bunch of giggling girls having a personal conversation. All very exclusive.

Did anyone look to see if there were any significant new cars shown for the first time. Any trends showing amongst the kits. What were the stands like. How was the GBS stand. Mood of the exhibitors. Any interesting accessories or services on show. Tools, spares, electrics, etc. What were the parts stands like.

I would like to know what I missed.

Nigel

Nigel, the main halls featured the same(or very similar) cars as last year,GBS's stand was impressive;probably the biggest manufacturers stand. Accessory stands were numerous & varied, but seemed the same as last year. The food vans were expensive,chips & cheese £3.95;the fixed catering very reasonable for on site;Farm Shop full english for £5 (loads of butter supplied)The Oak Room (new venue under Conference Centre)£7.95 for evening meal in very pleasant surroundings.We didn't spend any money on "goodies" just didn't find anything with a "must have" label. We went to meet all the friends we generally see only once or twice a year,to deliver bits to other members & to meet & natter with new friends. We got cold(0* degrees Monday morning) we got wet, we got slightly *bleep*;but only slightly; but all in all we had a good time once again. This is my take on the show no doubt others found it different.

Guest MarkB

As I had family commitments this year and missed the show for the first time in 15 years I have read the two main show threads looking to see what was in the show. All I found was a few mates gossiping like a bunch of giggling girls having a personal conversation. All very exclusive.

Did anyone look to see if there were any significant new cars shown for the first time. Any trends showing amongst the kits. What were the stands like. How was the GBS stand. Mood of the exhibitors. Any interesting accessories or services on show. Tools, spares, electrics, etc. What were the parts stands like.

I would like to know what I missed.

Nigel

Giggling school girls??, loosen up fella, I never realised that stoneleigh was a fact finding mission, a lot of people on here do enjoy the social side of this club a hell of a lot more than to sit rivet counting, but to answer your question:

Nowt new, gbs good, part stands were ... Stands with parts on, trends ? Saw a couple of funny outfits

Go Steady Nigel, you'll make new members feel like an Anorak is mandatory to join the club.

My original thread on Stoneleigh was to comment on what a fantastic event it was, complimented by what a good time

us bunch of School Girls had.

If I remember correctly, I then thanked the club for their efforts and all that they achieve followed by a tongue in cheek

welcome to some camping first timers that "chose" to join us for the evening.

Apologies if posting in the Chit Chat area was incorrect.

We all had a good time and if our mentality offends, may I please direct them to my Avatar!

;)

• Like 1

nowt exclusive here, only thing required is a chair and a pint pot its free to join no silly avatar required members benefits include free beer, sore ribs at end of night, free breakfast if you need it and some well equiped workshop faciltys either free or discounted. joking aside show was smaller than before nowt interesting other than the roadrunner of mr sheen and a few very expensive cobras...

All I found was a few mates gossiping like a bunch of giggling girls having a personal conversation. All very exclusive............I would like to know what I missed.

I didn't mean all you have taken from it. I don't wish to limit the giggling girls gossip in any way. I just found it a pain. I'm just jealous that I'm missing out. I had to exclude myself but after reading the threads felt even more out of it .

Missing Stoneleigh both the social side and the show itself is a blow. It is one of my favourite events of the year. It can be taken as read that the social side was enjoyed by most who camped in the Rhocar area. Ditto the generosity and selflessness of many members and the committee in organising and bringing the gazebos, BBQ stuff and donating booze for the benefit of all, getting it all out and packing away etc. Generally no thanks asked for but it is good to notice. I hoped to read stuff about the show itself but had to troll through pages of banter and didn't find diddly.

I suppose I have become a bit of an anorak but I'm stuck down in the nether regions of this mouldy country, doing family duty. I'm an anoraky sort of person reverting to type. Needed the break.

Nigel

Plus one Nigel on Dans comment above.

Don't forget a thick coat for the late night chills and

a thick skin for the banter.

Stoneleighs camp antics involved around 25 of us sat

drinking copious amounts of Elliots Ales telling tales of old and using

any words spoken as a verbal weapon against there originator!

The age range was from mid twenties to past retirement, but that only

made for a more entertaining evening.

Who'd of thought a married couple, in their furthering years shall we say, would let

slip to us they had a rubber fetish!!

Beer stings when expelled through ones nose...

Bounty Bars are disgusting...

It is possible to walk sideways...

Mick Dundee has more lives than a cat...

And the best conclusion to the weekend??

The North / South divide doesn't exist!

All welcome, as Dan says, drag over a chair and let rip.

Nick

:)

• Like 1

The show was much the same as usual for me, nothing really new and I didn't spend much money! I chose to the "school girls" and had a cracking time! Thanks folks, hugely enjoyable, apart from the hangover! I haven't had one of those in years and now remember why I don't get drunk! Its taken me 2 days to get over it! And I hate camping, cold and miserable, and worse with a hangover, I bloody hope Newark is warmer! Once again thank you all for be so hospitable. Thanks also to RHOCAR for the food & drink in the tents as well.

Sorry Nigel can't help you with info on new cars etc, we spent all Sunday morning on the club stand chatting to people as they arrived, and arrive they did, over 125 cars on Sunday.After that we managed to sneak off for an hour to grab lunch, a quick tour of the halls and stalls, GBS were very busy as usual when we stopped for a chat. They have some nice new parts including new seats at £600 a pair(ouch), shock absorbers and a couple of other bits and pieces. I managed to spend the grand total of £3.25 on a new brake warning light for the dashboard then it was back onto the club stand until 3.45, followed by the AGM at 4pm.

At the AGM Stephen Altwasser, Chris Brown and Ian Johnson all stood down from the committee, Chris Newlands and Bob Fry were elected onto the committee as membership sec and treasurer respectively, while Peter Knight and I both said that we intend to stand down next year.

After that I had time for a quick 3/4 pint of King John while taking the tent down before heading home as me and Laura were both working all day on Monday.

A quick note to all you cold campers - get a better sleeping bag, a four season bag with a comfort range between -12 and +10 degrees is worth every penny you'll spend on it, go to bed in T-shirt and underwear and you're toasty warm :D

Guest MarkB

Agree with Steve, Emma bought some new sleeping bags this year, toasty warm, only problem was I couldnt get out of the thing, a very quick Houdini moment saved me.from having a very damp bed, I spent a total of 18 quid on a pair of wipers, although that was definatly painfull.

Had a busy weekend trying to get round to meeting all members that were there sorry if i didnt get chance for a chat, Elliots ale went down a treat. as for the show I managed to have a wander round with Chris Brown and spent out on some bits and bobs. The new event shelters were easyer to put up and take down, for Newark I propose setting up 2 together and one a little way form it to give a lounge and bar type set up, that way if you dont like the conversation in the bar move to the lounge. This will hopefully allow members to mingle more and may be make new friends.

• Like 1

Guest MarkB

Excellent idea Phillip, can I reserve a tent spot near the event shelter please as we like to be in ear shot of our tent with having the 2 mini me's

New vehicle wise there was the Razor 3 wheeler, which was impressive and the GDT70 with the modular roof, which was cool. There was the Megabusa from MEV (although it was covered up when I walked past it). The new Vortex was displayed with the body work in Dynorod dayglo pink. Also MEV did a demo of removing the body from an MX5 and putting the Exocet frame on the Mazda chassis, all in 6 minutes!. Dax had their new tubular cobra chassis on show. As mentioned GBS had lots on display including a lot of the parts they now make in house. Westfield had an S2000 SDV car on display, but not much else.

The rest of the stands were pretty much as they were last year with the same maufacturers selling the same products. Parts wise, there was little to tempt me to part with my hard earned cash, even though I had gone with the intention of looking for a nice new quick release system. Other than for a rather dissappointing burger (what did I really expect, I really should learn!!!) I spent a grand total of £8 on a stick on rear view mirror.

Only went for the day sunday it was pretty warm, the show was nearly as good as usual apart from you not being there. Spoke with various people, old and new, bought a small gardening fork for the wife, a purple electric screwdriver for a daughter who is very keen on IKEA and some brake pipe clips for Dave R. Ogled quite a few cars including a dutch Lola T70 replica. Got back home in time to help the wife with the decorating, should have stayed on longer! Hope your arrangements went ok.