Midlands Area Run Out 11Th / 12Th August 2012

richyb66

We’ve been discussing organising a run-out at our monthly meet for a while now so now it’s time to make some definite plans. So here goes:

Date – Saturday 11th / Sunday 12th / August 2012, Drive up on Saturday morning, overnight stay and then drive back on Sunday. Other activities on the 2 days to be determined by the weather, and whatever people want to do.

Destination – Llyn Peninsula, North West Wales with an overnight camp on Saturday night in Pistyll near to Nefyn at Penisarlon Farm, LL53 6LR – there’s some details of the site here http://www.penisarlonfarm.co.uk/ (it’s is still under construction – the website that is, not the campsite but it gives you an idea). It’s in a great spot overlooking the sea, nice and quiet (until we arrive) with all the usual facilities and the cost is just a fiver per person per night. The lower camping area will accommodate around 15 pitches so we should be ok for space, there’s a short track down to the lower camping area (20 yards) that isn’t really suitable for kits to drive on so the site owner says we can have a dedicated area to park at the top of the track if necessary. He’s quite happy to make arrangements that most suit us on the day depending on what we want to do.

It’s in a convenient location just a 2 minute walk from my house so I won’t have to sleep under canvas and won’t be kept awake by rowdy campers. Please note however that the village of Pistyll is just a few houses and the nearest shop, cashpoint etc is a 5 minute drive away in Nefyn. People don’t need to make any bookings at this stage – all I need to do is get an idea of numbers and then let the site know a few days beforehand and then we can pay on the day.

The plan is to have a couple of meeting points en-route and a stop off for some lunch. I have spoken to Gaz0571 and we propose the following:

Initial meeting point 0900 - The lay-by opposite the Copper Kettle Café on the A5 between Nuneaton and Atherstone. This is the meeting point that’s been used in the past by Midlands members for the Stafford show.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.567051,-1.512283&spn=0.002576,0.006958&t=h&z=18

Second meeting point approx 0945 – In the car park at the Tollgate Cottage Café, Four Crosses on the A5 WS11 1SF

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.682373,-2.064824&spn=0.002569,0.006958&t=h&z=18

The en-route stop off will be at The Rhug Organic Farm shop just west of Corwen on the A5 LL21 0EH http://www.rhug.co.uk/the_shop/find_us.asp There’s food available here, decent loos and plenty of easy parking. I’d estimate an arrival time here of around 11-45 depending on traffic.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Corwen+LL21+0EH&hl=en&ll=52.982007,-3.41015&spn=0.005103,0.013915&sll=52.477438,-1.863632&sspn=0.126302,0.695572&oq=ll21+0eh&t=h&hnear=Corwen+LL21+0EH,+United+Kingdom&z=17

The remainder of the trip will basically be via, Bala, Trawsfyndd, Porthmadog and Criccieth. I have prepared some more detailed directions that I can send to people if they’re interested and can be printed off. I plan on already being up in Wales on the Friday, so I will probably drive out meet up with everyone at the Rhug Farm Shop and give people the option of following me for the last part of the journey to save having to read maps for the trickier last bit. I’ve planned the route to avoid any of the nastier roads that sat-navs generally take you along. Overall driving time is probably around 4 hours from Nuneaton, there’s an option to avoid the M54 if people particularly want to avoid the motorway – it’s not especially busy, just a bit boring for 20 minutes.

If anyone’s interested and wants to travel a bit lighter, I can transport their gear, tents etc up to Wales and back again as I will be taking 2 cars up there on either the Thursday night or the Friday morning (first come, first served up to whatever I can cram in the second car within reason). All you need to do is let me know what you want taking and either get it to me at home in Tamworth before Thursday 9th or alternatively I can meet up at the Malt Shovel pub (normal monthly meet venue) between 1830 and 1900 on Wednesday 8th August and collect stuff there.

If you’re interested, stick a reply on here. If there’s any further questions, let me or Gaz know and between us we’ll try to answer them.

Definitely up for this - we were already planning on driving the Wales coast that weekend and into the next week too that weekend so the timing is perfect. Just start off there rather than doing the north coast which I have done loads before. We would be getting a b&b, so won't be camping as simply don't have the room for camping gear and a weeks hol and the girlfriend :)

Would go for the Second meeting point approx 0945 – In the car park at the Tollgate Cottage Café, Four Crosses  on the A5 WS11 1SF.

Ed

Gaz has spoken about this idea before. I would love to go but its SWMBO`s anniversary on the 11th (hang on a bit.... our anniversary :crazy: )

And she has plans that dont seem to have a car theme.

Hope you have a good un and maybe do it agani next year..

Andi

Great plan, count me in, I'm up for it weather permitting (no weather gear :( )!

I, too, won't need to sleep under canvas as I have family staying that week in Harlech so will crash in their spare room.

Most likely I can meet at the lay-by opposite the Copper Kettle.

Trev

OK this is still on for tomorrow. I'm already here in Wales and the weather is stinking hot, I'd drive out to the Rhug Farm shop and meet everyone there.

Anyone who's afraid of camping is still welcome to come along for the day - you could easily drive back Saturday evening when the roads will be quieter and it should be a bit cooler (still 25 degrees here now and very sunny).

I'm also planning on doing some food for Saturday teatime (assuming everyone's happy with that) so if you turn up - at the very least you won't be going home hungry.

Just a few photos from the weekend:

wales01.jpg

A bit of a squeeze on the drive - That's Ed's car at the back, then Jez, Graham and Vic. I'm parked out of sight at the front and poor Gaz had to park down the road (well he was in a Dutton).

IMAG0216.jpg

Gaz and Jez decided to pitch tents in the garden - luckily I'd run the mower around.

wales04.jpg

Saturday evening we went for a walk along the beach to the Ty Coch inn for a quick drink.

wales06.jpg

wales02.jpg

The pleasant weather and live music brought the crowds out.

wales08.jpg

A quick stop off in Criccieth on Sunday morning on the way home (no Ed as he was staying on in Wales for a few days).

Looks like you all had an awesome time and Gaz was raving about how good it was.

Gutted I missed it but car is now fixed and hopefully get a few miles on the clock ready for the next one.

Hopefully be at the club meet in the Zero for the first time!

Steve

Guest scrabster

looks like a good weekend missed,mainly due to dodgy left knee and a pulled back on the opposite side,me and the family are of to great yarmouth on saturday for a week and im not looking forward to the 3 1/2 hour ish drive.trying to take it easy at work but not much chance of that,got bloody soaked today,the joys of working outdoors i guess.see you all at the monthly meet.

regards,jess.