Roll Cage

biksz

hi whats every bodys opinion on a full style roll cage bot to act as a roll cage but more cosmetic looking plus easier to get hold of something to out the car lol just a pic of what I was thinking of having done.

post-10798-0-65699800-1379095552_thumb.jpg

I don't want to start arguments lol I no every one has different ideas about different things its just nice hearing everyones opinion about things and how they think of doing things as that's why no car is alike,but thanks for all input so far :crazy: :crazy:

My main issue would be how to attach it to the car to make it a useful addition. Your car is a monocoque so you will have to add some heavy duty spreader plates.

Assuming the worst and you roll it and the front of the roll cage hits in a vertical plane the connection to the car would need to be sufficiently strong to stop it being pushed off the bottom. I would think you would need bolts through the side of the car into large spreader plates as well as a plate on the bottom.

Ideally it would be part of the chassis but i can't see how you would do this.

Hopefully someone will know more about the stresses involved and how big/many connections you would need otherwise you are simply bolting a roof rack to your car which may cause more problems in an accident than it stops.

hth

I was thinking of a spreader plate on the bottom of the bar and bolting it under the chassis then putting two like exhaust clamps on the sides with a spreader plate on the inside its not to be used as aroll cage more cosmetic as want a surrey top on it with out having to fit a screen.

I wouldn't bother.

Putting all that steel around the cockpit has the potential to cause more harm than good because if the cage fails its coming down on you!!

Roll cages have to be carefully designed, and welded properly. The mono chassis of our type of car doesn't lend itself to a roll cage as there are no good points to fix it to.

I no what you mean rich but the roll bar on the kit us only bolted any way and i dont think ut would do its job if the car ever was rolled imo the roll bar is cosmetic more than anything.i was thinking if a flat peice of metal all the way under neath to mount rhe extre roll bar.

Yeah the roll bars are also no good. You can improve them but I still don't think they are much good.

You have to except the risks involved when driving these high powered egg shells (to quote florin)..

Side impact is a bigger risk....and the mono's wouldn't stand up to much!!!