Mangle/wringer Wanted

fry61

Yes that's right; I need a mangle/clothes wringer for squeezing for mud & algae out of the dozens of filter mats in the twin filter beds which try to keep our pond water clearer than thick soup. Winter is a'coming & washing them repeatedly is getting cold on the pinkys.

hahah awesome. sometimes the simplest solution is the best. But i would think you might struggle to find a mangle.

Could you use an old washing machine? just hook it up to a hosepipe outside. prob find a quite a few on freecycle etc and wouldn't matter if the heater doesn't work. Then just weigh it in for scrap.

Nick, I could but it wouldn't be a fraction as good as a proper one --- all cast iron & cogs --- should be able to sit out in the garden for years.

Washing machine no am trying to get away from using so much water ever time I clean the filters at present I'm using around 200 gallons to wash them all; & we're on meter.

Loads come up on e-bay Nick, most are far away and/or expensive.

Thanks for the replies though.

Peter, hadn't thought of spinning them clean; wonder what the alkaline would do to the mainly ali in a spinner. Bob had loads of helpful info from Owlman in Surrey & think maybe our pond is too big for good filtration. 500,000 litres & over a 1000 fish --- less the local heron's breakfasts. But more info is useful, as would be a load of water after this very dry summer.