Road Tax

Government are saying from next September there will be no tax disc and we will be able to tax vehicles for as many months as you require not just the standard twelve or six months paying by direct debit. That should be good news for all kit owners.

• Like 1

Guest Ian & Carole

I am sure, when it was first announced, I read that we won't be able to tax our cars on an "ad-hoc" basis, just that for 5% surcharge we will be able to pay by monthly direct debit. Sadly.

I should probably not think so much but...

I'm not sure this is as great as it seems at first for everyone. So at the moment there are people employed to Print the tax discs, People who run the paper mills, people who make the ink, People in post offices to sell them, postmen to deliver the letter, people who make the envelopes etc etc.

'At the end of 2012 there were 34.5 million vehicles'

If we said it cost £1 a letter/tax disc to make and send it out. There is now £34.5 million not going into jobs. Instead the money will be paid to computer consultants and pay rises for the clever people who have saved all the money.

Might be wrong....feel free to correct my logic

Guest Ian & Carole

I think you are quite right, it is another way to cut the public sector staffing levels, saving a small , no LARGE fortune in pay and pensions.

It will probably cost lots of people their jobs.

Sad news for any public employee; but as always said " One mans wage is another mans tax & this is so true with all things government If the news said " We are no longer charging road tax & instead putting that cost on fuel" ( without increasing the overall tax) there would be dancing in the streets.

But out of the 34.5 millian vehicles, how many are not taxed due to tax dodgers? I still wonder if a couple of pence on a litre of fuel is a better way to collect the revenue, that way no one can dodge paying it.

Except the beggars that steal it or run on heating oil.

Guest Gargoil

But out of the 34.5 millian vehicles, how many are not taxed due to tax dodgers? I still wonder if a couple of pence on a litre of fuel is a better way to collect the revenue, that way no one can dodge paying it.

Not only would it catch the dodgers but also the continentals. So many trucks with none UK plates on the road, using the roads for free. I know the argument is that we can use their roads, just the same, but that isn't always the case.

Yes, some prices will go up but it would give our haulage industry a level playing field.

Even so, just so long as they don't go down the toll road route. That would be soul destroying.

My daughter has a new company car a Mazda MX somthing it cost over twenty six thousand pounds has a wacking great diesel engine in it but because of the emissions the rad tax is £0.00,what happened to road tax being to pay for the wear and tear on the roads,this runs on the road and creates a lot more wear than my Zero.

If I trusted them to do it fairly (no chance) I would willingly accept tax on fuel instead of annual per vehicle.

Drive more miles....pay more tax

Bigger vehicle (more road damage)....pay more tax

Small vehicle, low miles pay a proportional amount.

But you just know they'd rip us off

Guest Gargoil

or the beggers who have company cars and dont pay for the tax disc but do pay for private fuel usage.......and company car tax!!

Don't be too hard on us.

What would you do if your company said all you can drive is a Vauxhall Disatra 1.7?

It isn't always a great idea to have a company car, 178,000 miles of drudgery, isn't fun.

That's one of the reasons I bought a kit car!