Tips And Tricks Thread

Andi

Guest Gargoil

Don't use the roof of your car for temporary storage

. For example, don't leave your wallet/keys/phone/ work test equipment and any other small but valuable item on the roof.

Sometimes experience isn't the best way to learn..

:shok:

Edited by Gargoil

don't leave the handbrake on when your car is stored up for the winter etc, leave it in gear and chock the wheels. Otherwise you won't get it to move when the shoes rust to the drums. Also rotate the wheels and turn the engine on every few weeks.

Don't leave your brand new car on a trolley jack overnight while you paint the insides of your front wheels. The jack might go down overnight causing the aluminuim sump to break when it touches the jack, leaving you with a gallon of oil all over the garage floor and a £200 bill for a new sump.

Yup, I've done it!

don't leave the handbrake on when your car is stored up for the winter etc, leave it in gear and chock the wheels. Otherwise you won't get it to move when the shoes rust to the drums. Also rotate the wheels and turn the engine on every few weeks.

Or alternatively, just keep using it through the winter.

• Like 1

Don't use the roof of your car for temporary storage

Dont place your 9 foot surfboard on the roof while going for lunch without tying it on.

OR when you come out & drive off, many many cars behind will get a big shock.

Even better effect if 8 x 4 sheet of ply is tied on & driver forgets --- so on way home just as 80 creeps onto the clock -- BANG --- ply & roof-rack -- fly off -- who knows where -- searched & not found

• Like 2

Even better effect if 8 x 4 sheet of ply is tied on & driver forgets --- so on way home just as 80 creeps onto the clock -- BANG --- ply & roof-rack -- fly off -- who knows where -- searched & not found

Did the same with an Ikea bed... Unfortunately we found it so I still had to put it together

:lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

Edited by Andi

When I made my boot inner panels from 9mm ply, I coated each panel (after drilling all holes) with fibre glass resin.

Helped water proof and possibly add a bit more strength.

I did this even though I live on the coast I couldn't get any 9mm marine ply at the time!!

Guest peter2b2002

talking about leaving things on the roof did that years ago when i had a mini van put the tape recorder on the roof when i got in drove off 1st roundabout braked hard as 2 lorries were coming only to see the recorder fly off in front of me into the road , timing couldn't have been better as they both went over it

peter2b

Sorn'd the car for winter over the phone. Decided I would write sorn details/date phoned etc down and keep in folder with all the kit car paperwork inc mot iva cert driving licence.The tip here is to then remember where you put said folder!! Yep can't find it anywhere, suns shining can't tax car!!

Guest Ian & Carole

Provided the car is MOT'd and insured go to the DVLA web site and do it on line, you will however need your V5c so if that is in said folder also then you are well and truly fubared.