Hi From A Complete N00B

Guest b3nny

As mentioned in another thread:

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=39734

Hope it's not the start of a trend...

It may be a legit car, but there is tons and tons of experience and knowledge in this club, and it's always worth listening to the advice.

As always, when buying a car, if there's any doubt, then save your hard earned for another day

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dvla check comes up with robin hood lotus 7 correct colour and reg number. As far as i can remember if you buils a car and register it with dvla as IE "pig of a build 7" then thats wat the v5 will say. Why if it is a total home build you would put robin hood down I dont know, They did at one time do a locost chassis I think so that could explin some of it.

At the end of the day you need to satisfy your self that this car is totally and utterley legitimate in the way it has been built tested and registered. Or if in doubt walk a way

Guest b3nny

dvla check comes up with robin hood lotus 7 correct colour and reg number. As far as i can remember if you buils a car and register it with dvla as IE "pig of a build 7" then thats wat the v5 will say. Why if it is a total home build you would put robin hood down I dont know, They did at one time do a locost chassis I think so that could explin some of it.

At the end of the day you need to satisfy your self that this car is totally and utterley legitimate in the way it has been built tested and registered. Or if in doubt walk a way

This just confirms what the seller has just told me, by the sounds of it who ever built it registerd it as what it says, the chassis numbers match up and he also has the sva test with the correct matching numbers on. From what he just said to me it was registerd as a robin hood lotus 7 replica but without the replica on the reg doc.

Edited by b3nny

If you have a corresponding SVA certificate, then that's the biggest hurdle dealt with.

Just check and double check chassis number, engine number etc.

For reference, the SVA became the IVA on the 29th April, 2009.

This just confirms what the seller has just told me, by the sounds of it who ever built it registerd it as what it says, the chassis numbers match up and he also has the sva test with the correct matching numbers on. From what he just said to me it was registerd as a robin hood lotus 7 replica but without the replica on the reg doc.

i am not saying it is ok just things to think about. At the end of the day you have to be happy that all is legal and above board. Only you can decide that, what I would say is check check and triple check. using old kit car Id to avoid iva is rife and this is why the alarm bells ring when things are a little different to what's expected.

Read and re read this and any other posts on here and other kit car sites re car Id. Then read the v5 and ask all the questions to satisfy your self it's all ligitimate

Guest b3nny

he has just phoned me to say that he has found the orginal chassis receipt which was from robin hood, I will be double checking the chassis number when I go Saturday, but unless I got it wrong today it is correct, from what I can make out from what he said, its a robin hood "lotus 7 replica" but without the replica on the reg, is that allowed?

Just spotted the size of the front number plate. Think that is illegal too. So how did it get the MOT

I have a small no. plate (not that small tho')....just got it MOT'd this week......

the tester always points out its too small....but only as an aside.....he says the plate must have been the right size on the day he tested it

Edited by Bob Tucker

The original certificate from the SVA goes direct to the DVLA when the car is registered.

It's called a Ministers Approval Certificate (MAC) and all he should have is a (photo)copy of it.

Make sure all he has is a copy, not the original.

IIRC the RH lolocost chassis was essentially a 2B but with wishbones at the rear instead of the Sierra DeDion setup.

Benny, take a really good look at the car when you go back.

Identify the chassis first from the NW Rhocar site, then look for any supporting paperwork.

As Phil says, check & check again before laying out any cash.

It may be all right, but you need to make sure.

Edited by Bob Tucker

the chassis number will most likely have been copied from the donor car, which would have been a robin hood. So yes, you may have sva docs, vin numbers and reg plates but i do not believe they belong to that car. The VIN number will have been stamped by hand and as such can be made to read anything.

It could still be registered correctly if it's a Robin Hood Lolocost chassis in which case the chassis should look like the one in this thread:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?fid=2&tid=27933&action=printable

The obvious features to look for would be the shape of the plates that the steering rack mount to, upper harness fixings that are vertical tubes welded to the back of a box section (a RH favourite) and the shape of the plating that mounts the Sierra diff. These are likely to be unique to the RH Lolocost chassis (and difficult to replicate onto another chassis) and would identify it as a RH product rather than something else with a RH identity on it.

Obviously the original chassis receipt for Robin Hood for a Lolocost would tie in with the dates and prices shown in the link above. If it was me I'd want to look at the actual chassis and see the reciept in some detail before committing. If these check out OK. Suprised that the V5 would say Robin Hood Lotus 7 because Lotus is a manufacturer in it's own right and so shouldn't be used as the description of another manufacturers vehicle. (Robin Hood 7 or Robin Hood Lolocost would be more correct).

Guest mower man

Sorry mate but I think you have been shafted , there is no such thing as a Robin Hood lotus 7 ,as said to use donorplates is very difficult or imposible now the whole thing smells of ringing to circumvent IVAtest and make a killing the spec is good but it is not the car it's supposed to be , it will possiblly be in contravention of numerous rules,my advise is get your money back [if poss and walk away ] there are many more correctly registered cars for sale :sorry: moiwer man

As an aside, this thread ( and other recent ones like it) seem to indicate that as a club, even with the wealth of experience we have here, we struggle to definitively identify some cars.

Maybe we could do with a "buying a Robin Hood guide" that could be made as a sticky and collates the useful information on the NWRhocar site together with newer information. This might help potential new buyers identify exactly what they're looking at, understand whether it's correctly registered and then decide based on that.