First Mot Passed - Barely

sj-bradley

Has it been three years since I built it already ?

Well, took it down to a friendly MOT guy in Sprotborough to get it through its first MOT.

Well, it passed, but barely. Emissions - Not a chance, but with some gentle persuasion, it got through THAT hurdle.

Everything else was fine including some headlight persuasion to point in the right general direction !

It's definitely one place I would recommend to other "kit car" owners. :)

So, next stop - Tax man ... :(

Simon.

• Like 2

Persuasion - adjusting the map or convincing the tester to test on alternate thresholds due to car not in database?

Bingo ! :) At least I managed to get it through though.

I really need to get this mapped correctly now. That is the next job on the list when funds allow.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Have mine booked in for its first MOT next month. They are doing a service at the same time so hopefully it will be plain sailing. Just have to fit the old silencer with the cat on it back on first, as I changed it for one of the other GBS ones without the cat.

I seem to remember when all that emissions malarky came out, that the police used to do random roadside tests for emissions.

Not heard of that for many years (thank god)

I also remember that some cars were failing and then taking them to the nearest garage only to find they passed.

Andi

Bingo ! :) At least I managed to get it through though.

I really need to get this mapped correctly now. That is the next job on the list when funds allow.

Simon.

save your money, if you want power, you will not beet the GBS map. many have tried, at a cost, but appear to vary by only a few BHP, that can be machine error, difference in transmission loading, weather, you name it.

if you want emissions, that is another thing entirely, the GBS emission map is "close" but without the advantage of feedback it can not be guaranteed, be prepared to intervene.

I do not know of an economy map.

"Persuasion" is possibly easiest way, but you will have to hope the tester does not read the bulletins, if it isn’t in their emission database they are meant to use the number plate year, or refer to log book for date of registration. or so I'm told.

Aren't MOT emissions done at tick over? You shouldn't need two maps, even a full balls out power map should be able to meet the emissions at tick over and then come on strong when you put your foot down.

Having said that I do have a friendly tester, when I put the turbo engine in he said it should have a cat, to which I said, 'yes in an Astra it would have, but this car only needs to meet 3.5% CO and 1200ppm hydrocarbons' and his reply was that they only look for visible smoke because it's a kit - happy days.

Edited by steve in stockport