Fighting A Losing Battle

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

As the title suggests does any one ever feel like building a kit car is like fighting a losing battle? Since Xmas really I seem to have lost my motivation and lost my way in my marlin build. And that was with a few weeks break from building as well.

The build has been so complicated with most of the donor parts requiring extensive modification to fit correctly, along with bmw parts not being very interchangeable for example trying to mate the m3 gearbox to a 5 series diff was a nightmare.

With all the major mechanical parts done, and a quick engine removal last week I am now in the process of building everything back up at the front end of the car for what I hope to be the last time, however I have spent all weekend heat shrinking cables and tidying wiring and other menial tasks and at the end of the weekend the car doesn't really look that much different! Along with not having certain crimps or coolant hose t bolt clamps mean I can't progress until I get them in the post... I don't want to use jubilee clips... So I have to wait. My own fault for not forward planning but frustrating at the same time!

I seem to have 100 different jobs on the go at the same time! I think I have to try and be more methodical and finish each thing off in turn!

The car feels like the never ending story!

Guest peter2b2002

When i built my 2b i spent 1 hr thinking and 5 mins working on it, ive been doing the same with my z3 , just keep thinking what it will be when you finnish

Peter2b

Know how you feel! I've spent a very long time doing a full rebuild on a 3A that we bought. I make lists with major headings of areas to do then put sub headings for each area under them. Mark them off as we go. The lists never seem to get shorter but then suddenly you see the end of each area coming and its a great feeling. If you come to a stop waiting for parts it's easy to move over onto something else but make a note of where you have got to so you can go back to it.

Hope your enthusiasm comes back!!

Rob

• Like 1

Simon has hit the nail squarely on the head. Break it down into smaller chuck and treat them as little projects.....and give each little project your best and don't cut corners by rushing.

When all said and done, building the car should be as enjoyable experience as driving it.......surely that's why we do it??because I'm sure people spend more money building them than they would by buying a completed one lol!

My own little tip is when motivation is low......spend some time tidying the workshop......it has always help me get back in the mood :)

Guest Ian & Carole

Try a white board on workshop wall with tasks in some kind of order, once complete tick it off and move on to next job.

One step at a time, is there a rush to complete? Probably not, make it enjoyable not tiresome, otherwise you will give up.

Don't loose sight of the fact that you raised the bar by taking on a rather unique almost bespoke build so hats off to you for that.

Edited by Ian & Carole

Got to agree with all the above, the most beautiful thing about building my current kit versus all the previous ones is I have absolutely no time expectation on it... I just tickle away at it when I'm in the mood.

I run the whiteboard and it's very therapeutic to be able to work towards an item on it, and strike it off. Make the goals on it suitably achievable in size/effort (but don't lie to yourself about the scope of what needs doing), and you get motivated better to strike them off.

And prep, prep, prep. Don't cut corners or costs, it'll only cost you in the long run. I won't say "do it right, once" because I honestly hate it when people say that - projects are about compromise and sometimes you have to trade off perfection with realism. But aim for the 80th percentile or more, if you like. Make it *good enough* with some additional overhead in hand, but don't get tied up chasing perfection if it means it then becomes unachievable (given budget, time constraints, motivation, skills, etc)

I spent yesterday refreshing myself over my wiring loom design - just staring at paper - for best part of 4 hours, making notes. It was necessary because I'd forgotten where I was 4 months ago, and now I feel much more familiar with the work ahead over the next few weeks. Annoying when you want to be bolting stuff in or wiring stuff up, but better to get through it properly. Trying to figure it out as I went along would just not be productive and end up with loads of rework, I suspect, when I figure I've missed various connections!

Step away from it for a bit and do something else - as steamer suggests, tidy up the workshop... go to a track day/show and get your interest levels up again... walk the dog... anything.... :)

Chin up, you'll get there ;)

• Like 3

Along similar lines, I've been having doubts about starting my first ever build.

I've been thinking about it vaguely for 10 years but since January, I've got more serious - investigating the various models, lurking on several forums, reading build blogs and I've visited a couple of manufacturers. Then I decided to wait until Stoneleigh to see more of the models in the flesh before ordering.

So after all the hectic research, i've done nothing for the last few weeks, waiting for the show and doubts have started to creep in - should I be spending so much money on a toy when I could buy a cheap, older convertible (Saab 9-3, MX5, even a Porsche Boxster!) and have something more practical? Should I be spending the money at all when the house could do with some improvements?

Anyone want to admit to regretting a build? Wished they had just bought a normal car? :ph34r: :diablo:

Guest Ian & Carole

Along similar lines, I've been having doubts about starting my first ever build.

Anyone want to admit to regretting a build? Wished they had just bought a normal car? :ph34r: :diablo:

No never, my only regret is not using it enough, 12 years since it went on the road and I still get a buzz from it every time I drive it.

Never regretted building mine.

Also, when you put a list of jobs/tasks on the wall, tick them off when complete and leave them there. You'll be surprised how motivating it can be to see what you've already achieved in writing.

Nick

No regrets from me. It is, however, a big commitment in time and money if you build one from scratch, but the sense of satisfaction when it hits the road for the first time is amazing.

As Steamer said, another option to consider is to buy a built car or a part built kit as it could be a cheaper option. You could get some summer fun for not much more than the price of a starter kit!

Do you want to create your own vehicle ? Do you enjoy making things -- anything. Do you want to do something that is not time critical ( house refurb/greenhouse falling down/daily driver sick) It doesn't matter if it takes 1year or several if it's what you wish to do in spare/hobby time.

Is it practical? Yes, make sure you build in a decent boot & some weather protection & you'll be fine -- warm clothes & even frosty trips are O.K.

Get your other half involved -- & not just making the tea --

AND THEN --- after IVA -- ENJOY.