Rear Wheels Camber Adjustment

CAF

Having had both the rear drive shaft out, now its all back together the camber angle looks about 8 to 10 degrees, I am sure it was not like that before. Is this something you need to get Kwik Fit realign or can I do it myself?

Only way to adjust camber on an s7 is by changing ride height or wedges. You may find that it needs to settle, bounce on the rear a bit it should settle down. You could also try loosening all the suspension bolts that poss through rubber bushes if these are all tightened with the rear jacked up then the rubber will act as a spring and hold the car up. Torque up the bushes at normal ride height and it should stay there.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

If you have not been out in it yet, it would be a good idea to do so to settle your suspension after it being jacked up.

As previously. Don't take to Quick Fit. What they are good at is getting more money off you for what the actual job is worth.

Edited by 2b cruising

just to clarify do you mean positive or negative camber.

ie is it negative - tops of both wheels pointing into the car

or positive - tops pointing outwards

?

If pointing outwards i'd agree with above that it prob needs to settle back down. If you haven't moved it since jacking up as the tyres stick as you lower it down. One trick i've heard is to put glossy mags under the wheels as it allows them to slide, also good when adjusting front suspension and adjusting toe etc

if very negative it was prob like that before as the rear suspension of a sierra has too much negative camber when it is set lower. This then needs 'camber' shims to adjust the hub on the wishbone. Also cures too much toe-in if the shim is made to do both.

• 1 month later...

Still not got this sorted, all the parts that came off I put back on, there were no skims and I cannot see any potential adjustments points, the only thing I noticed was that I had a spare washer after I had rebuilt each side, would the guy who originally built my S7 have packed it out with a washer to solve the camber problem?

Packing out with washers is a known cheep way of adjusting camber and toe on the sierra rear end.

There is some debate on packing the individual bolts with washers verses solid wedges, my opinion is that both have problems in that the bolt heads are now not flat to the hub surface but the bolts are probably way over strength and I have not come across any drive shafts coming off as a result.

The face the hub bolts to is angled in at the top and in at the front faces giving you tie and camber

Top forward bolt face is the most in

Bottom rear the least

Camber wedges are thicker top front and thinnest rear lower thus cancelling out the excessive toe and camber

Fitting washers is the same but has less area to spread the load and without the wedges an individual bolt can take more stress than the others

• Like 1

wedges or washers fit between the hub and the mount on the trailing suspension arm.

So the bolt goes throught the hub then either the wedge or a stack of washers into the trailing arm.

Guest 2b cruising

With the shim between the back plate and the suspension arm hub mount, the hub angle to the suspension arm is changed through the drive shaft constant velocity joint.

If you fit a set, make sure as stated earlier, the correct way up, and the correct way front to rear.

I've done it to my 2b and it improved my excessive negative camber and tow in.

Handling while having fun improved massively.

Some people say they can fit them in 20 minutes.

Do not attempt this because it would take 20 minutes just to clean all flat mating surfaces, before fitting the shims without mal alignment.