Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest mower man

Isit Actually over heating or is the gauge /sender no working correctly?if its not dumping coolant I doubt any head warp /gasket probs,with out a stat it would probably run cool!. How much smoke just a puff or does it blather out ? any thing less than 1 litre per 7/800 miles is considered normal ,what breather system have you , so many things to check mick

Guest chris brown

Have you changed the sender from your old engine there's lots of different senders identified by colour. I suspect you have the wrong sender and it's not overheating.

Guest lotusPaul

I'm back from racing,and on leave for two weeks. I'm busy with family but will pop over when I can.

As the above posts say, check sender/display compatibility. Also confirm if it needs a resistor to drop it to 10v.

Did you try ringing before?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jimmytwobikes

Now here is the block, look closeley at no2 cylinder (3rd and 4th piccie,post-13776-0-37139600-1472389111_thumb.jpgpost-13776-0-10752700-1472389131_thumb.jpgpost-13776-0-50264300-1472389155_thumb.jpgpost-13776-0-67702600-1472389176_thumb.jpgpost-13776-0-58505900-1472389236_thumb.jpgpost-13776-0-71254100-1472389254_thumb.jpgpost-13776-0-88766900-1472389268_thumb.jpg engine was drained of coolant before stripping, it has sat for two weeks with no coolant in it prior to stripping.

Guest lotusPaul

I don't know if it's just the pictures but it looks like the fuel mix runs rich to lean from no1 to no4, left to right. I can't see any cracks with my poor eye sight from here. It also looks ripe for a chamber polish and id assume a port clean up to manifold match. how does it look against your modified head?

I'll pop round in the next week or so depending on work load and racing commitments.

Did you manage to give the block a good clean?

Guest 2b cruising

Any chance of you wiping clean the rim of number two cyl at around the 5 o:clock area.

Don't use any abrasives at the mo, just a good hard rubbing with wd40 soaked rag and then wipe clean.

I just can't determine for sure but some marks at that point seem a little suspect.

If the engine was drained and left stood before stripping, no way shoul coolant be present as is on yours.

You could definitely do with a head skim as some sealing ring marks are nearly visible.

These are photoes though so can't be absolute with them.

Guest jimmytwobikes

I noticed the marks on no2,went out for a second look, it wiped clean, it was just a bit of dirt. The old head looks ok by comparison and ran ok on the other engine. So I reckon a straight swap.